Restarting Services

OK, I know this is very simple, or at least it should be, so apologies. I am running bind DNS. I made a change to the config file and now want to restart/reload the service. There is a script called 'named' in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

I tried
service named restart and service named stop and it replies:
"named not running? (check /var/run/named/pid)."

What am I missing here?

A restart implies there's a running instance that needs to be stopped first. Stop also stops a service. You're trying to restart or stop a service that isn't running.

When I type service -e one of the things listed is "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/named". So this does not mean that it is running then?

Here is a cut and paste directly from my terminal: (the pid changed because I power cycled a little while ago)

# service named status
named is running as pid 601.
# service named stop
named not running? (check /var/run/named/pid).
#

I think it's a bug in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named. This section:
Code:
find_pidfile()
{
        if get_pidfile_from_conf pid-file ${named_conf}; then
                pidfile="${_pidfile_from_conf}"
        else
                pidfile="/var/run/named/pid"
        fi
}

is wrong.

the line pidfile="/var/run/named/pid" should be pidfile="/var/run/named/named.pid" and then service named status|restart|stop will actually find the pid value and not return the OP's error, which I duplicated on my stuff.

To answer the question - use rndc reload to reload the config and/or zone changes.

Edit to add: the pid file location can also be specified in the named.conf

Which BIND version? I have dns/bind99 and that stops/restarts correctly.

Code:
root@maelcum:~ # service named restart
Stopping named.
Waiting for PIDS: 2237.
./var/dump missing (created)
./var/stats missing (created)
Starting named.
root@maelcum:~ #
root@maelcum:~ # service named stop
Stopping named.
Waiting for PIDS: 58982.
root@maelcum:~ # ps -ax | grep named
59006  0  S+       0:00.00 grep named
root@maelcum:~ # service named start
Starting named.
root@maelcum:~ # ps -ax | grep name
59093  -  Ss       0:00.29 /usr/local/sbin/named -t /var/named -u bind -c /usr/local/etc/namedb/named.conf
59096  0  S+       0:00.00 grep name

dns/bind910 and dns/bind911 both have the typo in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named

I'm not so sure there's a typo... I'm running bind911 and my /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named works to start and stop the service. Looking at /usr/local/etc/namedb/named.conf and /usr/local/etc/namedb/named.conf.sample shows the pid file set as:

pid-file "/var/run/named/pid";

which explains why my setup works. Perhaps the OP has changed something or is using an old named.conf.

Datapanic: OK, I tried your change and it worked. The server I am running is freshly installed FreeBSD and everything on it was also just installed. From the top of the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named file I cut and paste the following that I think gives some clue as to the version I am using:
"# $FreeBSD: tags/RELEASE_11_0_0/dns/bind99/files/named.in 395660 2015-08-31 10:06:27Z mat $"
If this is not informative, I will post whatever is required if someone will point me in the ri

Back