Xfce Resolution in XFCE not saved with VirtualBox

I evaluate FreeBSD 13.1 in Virtualbox.

I have installed xorg, Xfce, lightdm and virtualbox-ose-additions.

The problem is that the screen resolution is not saved and reverts to 800x600 after reboot.

Also at boot, the console is repeatedly spammed with "dbus_enable YES -> YES" and "lightdm_enable YES -> YES".

Is that normal?

The problem is that the screen resolution is not saved and reverts to 800x600 after reboot.
You could add this to loader.conf:
Code:
vbe_max_resulution="1920x1080"
But as soon as X starts (with lightdm) it's likely to reset to 800x600 again. This is an X configuration issue.

Also at boot, the console is repeatedly spammed with "dbus_enable YES -> YES" and "lightdm_enable YES -> YES".
You added the sysrc(8) command to /etc/rc.conf?

You could add this to loader.conf:
Code:
vbe_max_resulution="1920x1080"
But as soon as X starts (with lightdm) it's likely to reset to 800x600 again. This is an X configuration issue.

You added the sysrc(8) command to /etc/rc.conf?
I edited the loader.conf but it only changed the resolution for the console.

Now that I have dbus_enable="YES" and lightdm_enable="YES" without sysrc before it stopped the spamming.

Also, how do I make multiple separate quotes when quoting the same user?

I edited the loader.conf but it only changed the resolution for the console.
Yes, that was intentional. When a VM boots it always starts with a rather small screen.

Also, how do I make multiple separate quotes when quoting the same user?
Select the text then click on the "quote" popup. Select another bit of text and click "quote" again. When you click on the "Insert quotes" it'll give you list of all the quotes you made so you can change their order. When you click on "Quote Message" it's going to insert all the selected quotes.

Yes, that was intentional. When a VM boots it always starts with a rather small screen.
Ok!

Select the text then click on the "quote" popup. Select another bit of text and click "quote" again. When you click on the "Insert quotes" it'll give you list of all the quotes you made so you can change their order. When you click on "Quote Message" it's going to insert all the selected quotes.

Ok thanks, don't know why it doesn't write "SirDice said:" though! :)👍

I don't know about FreeBSD but it it should be the same, back when I was playing around with VB there is a command for VB itself that you set screen size and stuff off the CLI . try digging that up and see what it does for you.

Ok thanks, don't know why it doesn't write "SirDice said:" though! :)👍
To quote, inclusive the user that has written the message, just start immediately (without selecting anything) with click on +Quote
(edit/delete what is not desired).

Maybe you have to add the vbox services to /etc/rc.conf?

# sysrc vboxguest_enable="YES"
# sysrc vboxservice_enable="YES"

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH the OS per se` it is the CLI taking to VB

you have to have guest extras installed

example:

vboxmanage setextradata "[VM NAME]" CustomVideoMode1 1600x900x32

Thanks for all answers and suggestion, really appreciate it.

I'm planning to get an extra PC so I can run FreeBSD on bare metal, maybe it will work better then?

Now magically it works with XFCE setting the correct resolution at start. I don't know what I did, if I did anything at all. Very strange. :-/

You need to select VboxVGA graphical cantroller in the virtual machine settings.

Снимок экрана в 2023-04-08 19-18-26.png

Back