Solved print/beeprt-label-printer-cups-driver

I'm receiving a MUNBYN ITPP941 label printer next week, and as it turned out, it's one of the most common label printers available globally under at least three different brand names (Beeprt, Rollo, Munbyn).

There is a Linux CUPS driver package available for download: Beeprt-driver-ubuntu_x86_64_v1.3.tar

That driver consists of a Beeprt.ppd and a rastertolabelbeeprt binary, and comes with install/uninstall shell scripts for Ubuntu x86_64.

It's unclear to me if that rastertolabelbeeprt binary can be run under FreeBSD (possibly making use of the FreeBSD Linux binary compatibility layer?), but there is a patched rastertolabel.c from a CUPS fork available, that has support for that printer model class and most likely could be used as a substitute.

I'm not entirely sure on how to proceed with installing that driver and obviously a proper port would make more sense, so that others can benefit from having access to a commonly used label printer as well, but I'm not a developer and not using FreeBSD yet (of course if I had the necessary knowledge, I would contribute), so any help with this would be very much appreciated.

This source you found is a fork of the official CUPS sources, they already have a rastertolabel filter, just not supporting this model (yet?). So, making a port of it would be pretty cumbersome. What would work is to add an optional patch to print/cups including this change.

Before attempting to do that, maybe contact the author and ask him whether he intends to get his patch merged by opening a pull request towards CUPS?

This source you found is a fork of the official CUPS sources, they already have a rastertolabel filter, just not supporting this model (yet?). So, making a port of it would be pretty cumbersome. What would work is to add an optional patch to print/cups including this change.

Before attempting to do that, maybe contact the author and ask him whether he intends to get his patch merged by opening a pull request towards CUPS?
Thanks a lot for that hint that didn't even come to mind. I'll contact the maintainer of that CUPS fork right away and report back once more info is available.

Maybe he's willing to open a PR when ppl show interest in his changes ;) good luck!

Otherwise, pulling the patch into print/cups should be possible, but I'm unsure whether this would be accepted for the FreeBSD ports tree…

Maybe he's willing to open a PR when ppl show interest in his changes ;) good luck! Otherwise, pulling the patch into print/cups should be possible, but I'm unsure whether this would be accepted for the FreeBSD ports tree…
Damned, I have just stumbled around in that Github repo and I honestly have no idea on how this actually works. I have never taken a look at pull requests before and I could not find a way to contact the maintainer of that repo (proski).

Any more hints on how this can be done?

Otherwise I'm not sure if adding a patch + PPD to the FreeBSD CUPS port would be the way to go or even possible, so this may be something that can be fixed only upstream.

I have just received the following feedback from the maintainer of the Epson escpr/escpr2 ports concerning this matter, who thinks that it is an exaggeration to port this:
rastertolabelbeeprt is missing libcupsimage.so.2 and libcups.so.2 when it is run. Installing print/linux-c7-cups-libs will fix this.

Store rastertolabelbeeprt anywhere under /compat/linux.

Edit path to rastertolabelbeeprt in Beeprt.ppd:

sed -i '' -e '/^\*cupsFilter: /{s,rastertolabelbeeprt,/compat/linux/opt/&,;}' Beeprt.ppd

Beeprt.ppd does not have to be installed, but can be uploaded in the CUPS web interface when adding the printer, or specified in the -m option of lpadmin.
So it should indeed be possible to just use the original binary as provided by that Linux driver package without much hassle. :)

Back