Solved Request Clarification for "portmaster -af"

Good Afternoon,

I am tracking FreeBSD 12 as it goes from RC to Release on a separate drive. It is not in a production environment.

I did an install of 12.0-RC-2 to this spare drive. I installed some things from packages. However following the upgrade instructions in the handbook - I have issued a "portmaster -af" and it appears that portmaster is going through all the binary packages - and rebuilding them from ports.

I have no problem with this (I know that mixing ports and packages is bad) - I just want to clarify that what I am observing is:

a) Correct

b) Expected Behavior.

Thank You!

Dave

In general if you have an issue with some command(s) then always start by reading their manualpage using either the man command or find it online. Almost every command (and config file) is documented, including portmaster(8).

ShelLuser

I did read the man page first, several time, then google searched - without getting a satisfactory answer. The man page does not specifically mention when pushing the "a" option that it will build all binary packages from ports. Thus my post.

Perhaps that clarification could be entered into the man page under the "a" explanation for "portmaster"?

Now I know - that if I come across a system that is mixed between packages and ports - I can use portmaster to get all that is installed on the same page by building it all from ports.

Thanks!

Dave

This is 3 years old but is it still acceptable practice? Rebuild all ports with portmaster
It still works but I wouldn't recommend that procedure myself because I think it overcomplicates a few things.

I'd use something like this instead:
  1. pkg info -qao > installed-ports-list
  2. Update the ports tree.
  3. portmaster -Rfd --force-config `cat installed-ports-list`
  4. portmaster -ty --clean-distfiles
... where step 4 is entirely optional, but it could help clean things up.

The man page does not specifically mention when pushing the "a" option that it will build all binary packages from ports.

It is not the -a option but that in conjunction with -f.

Code:
[-R] -f     always rebuild ports (overrides -i)
-a          check all ports, update as necessary

So using -af you are telling ports-mgmt/portmaster to verify all ports for updates and build the necessary, and at same time telling it to rebuild all verified ports.

Btw, I would recommend ports-mgmt/synth instead of ports-mgmt/portmaster for end users (otherwise ports-mgmt/poudriere for more advanced needs). Synth.

I've been using ports-mgmt/portmaster since I first discovered it. I not only find it easy to use, I enjoy using it. I know it will do the job right and if there is a problem that requires me to step in it's easily managed.

Though I will admit over time it has seemed to be more difficult for a beginner to use than I perceived it to be, still think it helps instill valuable skills and experience in a new user. But I enjoy using ports, too. :p

Back