Removing components with `freebsd-update`

In upgrading to 14.1-RELEASE using freebsd-update, I found the server apparently had the dbg and lib32 components installed. The server has only been updated/upgraded with freebsd-update.

Code:
The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic kernel/generic-dbg world/base world/base-dbg world/lib32
world/lib32-dbg

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Although these are small and likely reasonably secure, I'd prefer if they weren't there.

Is there a way to accomplish this using freebsd-update?

If not, is there a reasonable way to source freebsd-update to be able to use its metadata retrieval and filtering functionality such as fetch_filter_metadata_components
to get the expected list of files for deletion? Of course, if there is a place that information resides already, that would be even better.

if there is a place that information resides already, that would be even better.
There is not but that sounds like a great feature for bsdconfig. You should be able to delete base components like lib32 there.
Unfortunatly you can't.

There is not but that sounds like a great feature for bsdconfig.
Well, it would have been a great feature. I recently keep reading posts from people already using pkgbase, being quite happy with it; this will finally allow the same flexibility for binary installations you previously only had by building/installing from source (setting knobs from src.conf(5)). So my guess is that in the long run, this will lead to deprecation of freebsd-update(8) anyways.

Back