Solved Remove Foreign Language Fonts

I noticed I have three foreign language fonts in editors/libreoffice and www/firefox that I would like to remove if possible. I can't find them by name in ports so am at a bit of a loss. The fonts (first name) are
Code:
estrangelo
serto
east syriac
If these are part of the base OS, that's fine, but if not, I am at a loss as to where they came from.

They are definitely not a part of the base OS. All three are Syriac fonts, and described e.g. here.
They are provided by x11-fonts/font-misc-meltho. However, when I tried to remove this package, pkg(8) wanted to uninstall 124 (!) other packages (which "depend" on this?), including gtk2/3, qt4/5 and even vlc.

Well, that did it, thanks! I use ports exclusively and removing this port caused no ill dependency effects for me. How did you know what provided this font? I have one more and I would like to learn how you figured this out.

EDIT: Disregard, I figured it out. I searched for the font name on https://www.freshports.org and found the containing port so removed it. Not sure if this is how you did it.

The page I mentioned references melthofonts-1.21.zip file. In your list there is a "keyword": syriac.
What's the last one you have?

I searched for "goha" and it found that font I referenced above. It found 3 other ports but they are not installed and are unrelated. Kind of a shot in the dark but the search worked. Since that was the only font returned in the search, I checked and it was installed so did a make deinstall clean in the port directory, then fc-cache -fv and voila', no more font :)

Of course, seeing those unneeded fonts in the list is annoying, but on the other hand seeing those squares instead of characters on certain web pages (like wikipedia/wiktionary) is annoying too... So if they are just .ttf or .otf files I prefer to keep them. It's happened to me that when trying to find e.g. etymology of a word I needed to copy and paste foreign characters for translation or so.

I never thought of that, probably because I only speak one language but that makes sense. Thanks for your help aragats.

If you know the filename and want to know which package it came from: pkg which /usr/local/bin/somebin

For example:
Code:
root@c1:~# pkg which /usr/local/bin/tmux
/usr/local/bin/tmux was installed by package tmux-2.3

Of course, seeing those unneeded fonts in the list is annoying, but on the other hand seeing those squares instead of characters on certain web pages (like wikipedia/wiktionary) is annoying too...

I have the same feeling, but if do you install just x11-fonts/noto you will have all imaginable languages covered. Still, a lot of fonts will be displayed but they all are Noto {Sans,Serif} Something. :eek:

Cheers!

Back