Solved Remove drm-kmod pre upgrade. Now hangs

Trying to upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1.. Removed the drm-kmod driver with pkg remove.

Now it gets to where it prints the efi framebuffer information and where it normaly goes out of the loader and hangs there.. This happens for single user also..

I can get to the loader prompt.

I tried to upgrade earlier before I read about the issue with the drm-kmod driver and then I could change to the old kernel and boot that, but now I can't even do that..

Removed the drm-kmod driver with pkg remove.
This doesn't actually remove anything. The graphics/drm-kmod installs a different package depending on the version of FreeBSD you have. That's still installed.

The question is did you use loader.conf or kld_list to load the DRM module?

I can get to the loader prompt.
Can you try
Code:
load /boot/kernel/kernel
boot -s

Remove the kernel module from loader.conf or kld_list. That should be enough, you don't need to uninstall it, you just have to make sure it doesn't get loaded.

Hmm.. I don't remember if I used loader.conf or kld-list.. Its a while ago..

Tried the load command and it still hangs..

Writing on my phone and quoteing didn't want to work :p

Tried the load command and it still hangs..
I suspect you have it in loader.conf. Try entering unload before the load command. That should unload everything (including the kernel module).

Still hangs.

Tried lsmod in the prompt before I did unload also and it doesn't print anything.

Do you have AMD or Intel graphics? Because you mentioned EFI you may have included hw.syscons.disable=1 due to issues with the AMD drivers. Try set hw.syscons.disable=0 to enable it again. In that case it probably doesn't 'hang', it's just not showing anything on screen.

Had to go out here..

I have Intel.. That last bit got me past the efi loader.. Continuing with the upgrade now. And building drm-kmod from ports :)

I had the kld-list in /etc/rc.conf.. Removed it from there. Then I could boot normaly. Deleted the package with pkg and compiled it from graphics/drm-kmod.. Then added in the driver in kld-list again.. :)

Back