Solved Removal of 10/100mbit ethernet drivers

Hi
in regards to this development https://github.com/freebsd/fcp/blob/master/fcp-0101.md

I purchased a dell 3000 series laptop early last year 2017. The problem is the wifi onboard isn't supported and the ethernet is only 100mbit. Does this mean I'm outta luck in regards to running freebsd on this laptop, after freebsd 13 releases even though this is only a two year old laptop?

Thanks for any help in this matter.

the ethernet is only 100mbit.
The machine uses a 5th generation Intel Core chip and should support gigabit ethernet.

The ethernet adapters they are removing are real old. Like 20 years old. Still usable but rarely found in use.
There was a stink by some on the mailing list but I really don't see a problem.
Some people will find a bone to pick for arguments sake.
I just so happen to have some of these obsolete parts and trust me I couldn't care less. They are worthless junk.

Your laptop will die before FreeBSD quits supporting it. That is a modern machine so you are all good.
Wifi might be supported too, have you tried to get it going? We can help with some wireless modules.
Well supported Atheros modules are pretty inexpensive if you can work a screwdriver.

The machine uses a 5th generation Intel Core chip and should support gigabit ethernet.

I'll double check I could of swore the last time I tried FreeBSD on it it was an re0 device only running at 100mbit.
I suppose it could of been caused by a duplex mismatch on the switch I was using.

No my bad, there is real problems with the Realtek driver. Your symptoms there are normal. Forcing it to gigabit won't help either.
Our realtek driver is not great..
I am pretty sure that it is a native gigabit interface, there are simply driver issues causing a lower link speed..

No my bad, there is real problems with the Realtek driver. Your symptoms there are normal. Forcing it to gigabit won't help either.
Our realtek driver is not great..
I am pretty sure that it is a native gigabit interface, there are simply driver issues causing a lower link speed..

I installed freebsd 12 on the forementioned laptop, im writing on it at the moment.
Here's the re driver portion of the dmesg.

re0: <RealTek 810xE PCIe 10/100baseTX> port 0xe000-0xe0ff mem 0xd1204000-0xd1204fff,0xd1200000-0xd1203fff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci2
re0: Using 1 MSI-X message
re0: ASPM disabled
re0: Chip rev. 0x44800000
re0: MAC rev. 0x00100000
miibus0: <MII bus> on re0
re0: Using defaults for TSO: 65518/35/2048
re0: Ethernet address: 58:8a:5a:0c:76:8a
re0: netmap queues/slots: TX 1/256, RX 1/256

Wow you were right, they did use a 10/100 adapter in your GEN5 laptop.
RT 810xE
The realtek driver is not being removed. Just real old obsolete drivers.

Wow you were right, they did use a 10/100 adapter in your GEN5 laptop.
RT 810xE
The realtek driver is not being removed. Just real old obsolete drivers.

Alright thanks for all your help. It sure alleviated my concerns over this news.

Have a nice day.

Back