reload /etc/rc.conf

The closest thing I can think of would be to go to single user mode then back. You can do this by doing shutdown now and then return from the console. This doesn't drop all the network connections so it's not quite the same as rebooting would be but it would re-read /etc/rc.conf as it restarts all the services going back into multi user mode.

m_pahlevanzadeh said:
How can I reload /etc/rc.conf without reboot?
Why would you want to do that? If you wish to (re)start services you can either use service(8) or call the scripts in (/usr/local)/etc/rc.d manually. In most other cases there are still commands you can use. There's generally no need to "re-read" /etc/rc.conf. What's more, there's probably no such thing in the first place because that file is only read during startup, when switching between single user mode and multi-user mode and when manually turning services on or off.

You can't reload or reread the file, there is no single daemon that could reload it entirely. It's just a /bin/sh shell script that gets sourced by other rc(8) scripts when they are executed.

FreeBSD init(8) does not know about /etc/rc.conf and there are no runlevels in FreeBSD. What "features"? Can't you just restart the service/whatever your customized system is so that it re-reads /etc/rc.conf?

• Thanks
Reactions: 0mp
It's interseting, because i think bsd itself undestand new line of /etc/rc.conf, Suppose i have a bsd under load, and i added pf_enable="YES",So bsd itself parse it.

otherwise it's very ....!!!!!

It's interesting, because I think FreeBSD itself understands a new line being added to /etc/rc.conf. Suppose I have a FreeBSD system under load, and I add:
Code:
pf_enable="YES"
So FreeBSD itself parses it.

Not quite. As said before, FreeBSD is not "aware" of /etc/rc.conf and doesn't somehow magically or telepathically notice when you change it. To start a firewall you just configured (as appears to be the case judging from your example), use either # service pf start or # /etc/rc.d/pf start. Re-reading /etc/rc.conf just doesn't make any sense.

m_pahlevanzadeh said:
It's interseting, because i think bsd itself undestand new line of /etc/rc.conf, Suppose i have a bsd under load, and i added pf_enable="YES",So bsd itself parse it.
Well, then we're basically talking about services, and you can control those either by using their rc command scripts directly (for example /etc/rc.d/pf) or using the service(8) command.

There really is no need what so ever to reload rc.conf.

Something you'll notice right away when trying to start a service which you haven't enabled in rc.conf yet; the system will then complain. However, as soon as you enabled the service in rc.conf the system stops complaining.

Finally; also keep in mind that if all you want to do is start a service manually, and not so much get it to be automatically started all the time, then you can also use the onestart or forcestart command.

I would like to have a command to "reload" rc.conf or a method to tell to FreeBSD to disable the vboxnet driver.
It's one post above yours:
Well, then we're basically talking about services, and you can control those either by using their rc command scripts directly (for example /etc/rc.d/pf) or using the service(8) command.
Does /etc/rc.d/vboxnet stop or service vboxnet stop work?

Edit: ziomario don't be embarassed and delete your post. We all have moments we do not to see the wood for the trees!

I've deleted the post because I've understood that it makes no sense to reload the whole rc.conf,but we can relaunch or kill the services that are called inside it. I wouldn't added anything useful to the post.

Back