Release of 10.0-RELEASE is close.

Man, I hope it gets here soon. I've been waiting to get all my systems installed with it (sparc64, powerpc64, i386, amd64, etc). My pSeries 520's (and 52A's) have been on standby, waiting for this to officially come out.

xy16644 said:
Me too. I just checked out stable/10.0 and it still says PRERELEASE.

It will say that for a while until 10.0 gets released, then stable/10 will be changed to say 10.0-STABLE. Regardless of what uname(1) reports you have to think stable/10 now as the newer version of the two.

The 10-STABLE (stable/10 in SVN) branch was created way before the 10.0-RELEASE branch (releng/10.0) was created and the release branch is actually a copy of the stable branch from a certain point in time. The internal names (STABLE-X, X.Y-PRERELEASE etc.) do not really matter, understanding how the revision control branches relate to each other is the important part. I wish I could find the fancy ASCII art I drew once about how the branching is done but can't find it now...

Edit: Found it, http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?p=187519#p187519. That's an older post that still uses the CVS tags instead of SVN branch identifiers. That's the general idea how the branching is done, stable/n (RELENG_n in the picture) branches are created (copied with svn copy) from HEAD and releng/x.y (RELENG_x_y in the picture) branches are created from the stable/x branch.

Ahh... Thanks for clearing that up.

So, technically, 9-STABLE is newer than 9.x-STABLE? Huh, I always thought it was the other way around. Nice to know.

No, there is no 9.x-STABLE branch. uname(1) will show "9.x-STABLE", but that's not the name of the branch. 9-STABLE just means "The FreeBSD-9 branch right now".

It's not really out until the announcement. It has happened before that people thought a new release was out, only to have the actual release be delayed by a last-minute problem.

Thank you @fonz. I am going to blame my failure to mention that on the fact that I have a cold and therefore, my mind is not working well -- or shall we say, even less well than normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back