Reinstall packages after FreeBSD upgrade

Hello,
I want to upgrade my server from 11.1 to 11.2. Normally after such upgrade I should reinstall all packages using pkg upgrade -f
The problem is that if I do it - the packages will be reinstalled AND upgraded to the last versions existing in the repository. I have some packages which must not be upgraded. So I need just reinstall the existing packages without trying to upgrade them. I am sure that the existing packages work correctly on 11.2 (I have another server with the same versions).
How should I proceed?
What is the risque if I skip the step of reinstalling packages after upgrade?

I want to upgrade my server from 11.1 to 11.2.
Skip 11.2 and go to 11.3, 11.2 will be end-of-life in a month or two.

Normally after such upgrade I should reinstall all packages using pkg upgrade -f
Only required after a major version upgrade, it should not be needed for a minor version upgrade. Won't hurt though but should not be needed.

Thank you, SirDice, but anyway I'm curious to know if it is possible to reinstall all packages without upgrading ;)
And yes, I know, 11.2 will be EOL very soon, but I have dozen of servers on 11.2, I prefer to upgrade them to 11.3 all together later, when two last ones will be on 11.2 too :)

You probably can't re-fetch binaries of older versions of packages. They simply won't exist on the repo.

I'm curious to know if it is possible to reinstall all packages without upgrading
There isn't, any pkg-install(8) or pkg-upgrade(8) command will always install the latest available version.

If you have to maintain multiple servers and are trying to keep things more organized I can highly recommend setting up your own repositories. That will give you the ultimate control over updates, settings, and default versions.

Back