Solved Reduce size of loading font

Hi guys!

I'd like to ask if it is possible to reduce the size of the loading font. Everything displayed after the loading menu, just to make it as small as possible.

Thanks.

Re: reduce a loading font

At present, those are console fonts provided by the video card. vidcontrol(1) can load different fonts, but they are limited in size ranges and won't be used until after the kernel has loaded.

Soon, "Newcons" will provide a graphic screen buffer and might make arbitrary font sizes usable.

In the meantime, why? What are you trying to achieve? There are ways of hiding some of the boot messages entirely, if that will help.

I've got an interest, because I want to have all boot information on the one screen. I think it's convenient. The messages are not reflecting all information. Regarding vidcontrol, I know, but I saw one of FreeBSD's booting screens with very small text, and I'd like to have a similar possibility. To my regret, I don't know how it works.

You can change the video mode in "mid-boot", i.e. as soon as sc() gets initialized, by tweaking /boot/device.hints. This allows for single-user mode in 1024x768 pixels (or whatever mode is supported on your system, see vidcontrol()).

Here are the relevant lines from a VirtualBox-ed FreeBSD installation:
Code:
% grep sc /boot/device.hints                                                          
hint.sc.0.at="isa"
hint.sc.0.flags="0x180"
hint.sc.0.vesa_mode="280"

@wblock@
Yes, I've seen it, but did not ask him unfortunately how it works. I was very busy with other questions. It was two years ago in one of the UNIX gangs. And I remembered it for some reason now.

@worldi
Thanks, probably so, and it must be associated with the console driver. I investigate a question tomorrow in more details.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the boot messages are available in the dmesg -a output if you want to take a look at them after boot up.

The subject arose with a research objective, I want to understand is possible to receive the small size of loading font or not or it was some FreeBSD emulation. And I am glad to received answers.
Now by the subject. My vidioadapter supports resolution 640х400х32, mode 318 as maximum.

Therefore
Code:
/ boot/device.hints
hint.sc.0.flags = "0x180"
hint.sc.0.vesa_mode = "318"

It is a maximum for my system.
The result hasn`t common sense for to be considered ....

Back