bhyve Red Hat not supported by cbsd?

Hi, I'm looking to install Red Hat bhyve guest using cbsd, but it is not there in the list of when running # cbsd bconstruct-tui. Do I get it right that Red Hat is not supported by cbsd yet?

In `cbsd bconstruct-tui` or ( `cbsd get-profiles --help` ) you see the profiles that come with CBSD. This does not mean that you are limited only to them.
You can register custom ISO via `cbsd media` or create your own profile ( the best option ):

"Contrib" CBSD profiles are located in the `~cbsd/etc/defaults/` directory ( vm-XXXX-YYY.conf files).
For user's profiles please use `~cbsd/etc/` directory.

For example, you can take Linux Rocky9 (or Alma Linux, or Oracle) profile as an example and change it for Red Hat, e.g.:

Code:
cat ~cbsd/etc/vm-linux-RedHat-9-x86_64.conf <<EOF
vm_profile="RedHat-9-x86_64"
vm_os_type="linux"

long_description="RedHat Linux: 9.1"

fetch=1

# Official resources to fetch ISO's
iso_site="\
https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/9.1/isos/x86_64/ \
"

cbsd_iso_mirrors=

iso_img="RedHat-9.1-x86_64-dvd.iso"

register_iso_name="cbsd-iso-${iso_img}"
register_iso_as="iso-${vm_profile}"

default_jailname="redhat"

vm_package="small1"
imgsize="12g"

bhyve_rts_keeps_utc="1"

vm_vnc_port="0"
vm_efi="uefi"

xen_active=1
bhyve_active=1
qemu_active=1

clonos_active=0
sha256sum="0"

virtio_rnd="1"
EOF

After that you will be able to use it via `cbsd bconstruct-tui` or CBSDfile or:

cbsd bcreate jname=rhel1 vm_os_type=linux vm_os_profile=RedHat-9-x86_64 vm_ram=1g vm_cpus=1 imgsize=20g runasap=1

Save your RedHat.iso image as `~cbsd/src/iso/cbsd-iso-RedHat-9.1-x86_64-dvd.iso`(or create symlink )

PS: AFAIK, RedHat doesn't distribute ISOs via a direct permalink, so we can't let CBSD download them like other distributions.

Thanks Ole. Good to meet you. Red Hat is now in the list.

Looking for detailed tutorial to set up jail, bhyve and a Linux distro like Red Hat using cbsd, for newbies like me. Found this one, https://www.bsdstore.ru/en/bhyve_cbsd_howto.html, but it is a very brief intro, and I'm already stuck in # cbsd blogin redhat. Can you point me to the right direction?

By default (without extra configuration), the `cbsd blogin` command works only with cloud profiles/images. Cloud profiles is a pre-installed OS that is immediately ready for use without instalation stage, where the network, passwords, accounts and access keys are configured via a cloud-init package. The most distributions generate a cloud image along with ISO image. Since the CBSD generates settings for cloud-init, the `cbsd blogin` command with default config can use the correct key to login into bhyve VM.

Since you are using an ISO image, you must install the system in the usual way using the RedHat installer. Use VNC console to do this.

Back to the `cbsd blogin` command. After installing and configuring the network in the guest, you can customize the `cbsd blogin` per VM via blogin.conf config file and use it without 'cloud-init`.

Default blogin.conf configuration file located in ~cbsd/etc/detaults/ directory. You can overwrite globally for all virtual machines `cbsd blogin` behavior using `blogin.conf` in ~cbsd/etc/ directory.

Moreover, you can only override the behavior for specific virtual machines if you drop this configuration in the virtual machine settings directory: ~cbsd/jails-system/<VMNAME>/etc/

priority from top to bottom (last one - wins):
Code:
~cbsd/etc/defaults/blogin.conf
~cbsd/etc/blogin.conf
~cbsd/jails-system/<VMNAME>/etc/blogin.conf
In `blogin.conf` file you can use `facts` for VM ($hwaddr, $ip4_addr and so on to generate correct SSH string or any other action (lauch RDP client), e.g.: ssh bxbz1@$ip4_addr

Thanks Ole. Good to meet you. Red Hat is now in the list.

Looking for detailed tutorial to set up jail, bhyve and a Linux distro like Red Hat using cbsd, for newbies like me. Found this one, https://www.bsdstore.ru/en/bhyve_cbsd_howto.html, but it is a very brief intro, and I'm already stuck in # cbsd blogin redhat. Can you point me to the right direction?

Installing Linux on bhyve requires you to move the efi boot files before the reboot of the install session. See the cyberciti.biz link. Done it a few times now, works like a charm

The parent os is Ghostbsd stable, the bhyve instance with Freebsd is running 14.

pkg info cbsd
cbsd-13.2.0
Name : cbsd
Version : 13.2.0
Installed on : Sat Apr 22 19:41:02 2023 CEST
Origin : sysutils/cbsd
Architecture : FreeBSD:13:amd64
Prefix : /usr/local
Categories : sysutils
Licenses : BSD2CLAUSE
Maintainer : olevole@olevole.ru
WWW : https://www.bsdstore.ru
Comment : Yet another FreeBSD Jail, XEN and Bhyve Management Utility
Options :
BHYVE_GOP : off
Shared Libs required:
libssh2.so.1
libsqlite3.so.0
libedit.so.0
Annotations :
FreeBSD_version: 1301510
repo_type : binary
repository : GhostBSD
Flat size : 15.5MiB
Description :
Yet another FreeBSD jail and bhyve management tool.

Ghost is using a lot that Freebsd is using,

But I was mostly referring to Linux (in my case Debian). For that I did need to follow the nixcraft advise

Back