recovering from 8.4 upgrade to restore 8.1 freebsd

After you format a filesystem, mount it and cd to it, then restore. Please check those articles, which show examples. And you will likely have to install bootcode, which is also shown.

wblock@ said:
After you format a filesystem, mount it and cd to it, then restore. Please check those articles, which show examples. And you will likely have to install bootcode, which is also shown.

Yes, I spent 2 days following the pages you provided me with. I followed line by line exactly what is says to do.
Yet, when I get to the point to use restore and I change the directory to /mnt then run the restore command. I still get the same error message about the temp directory is full.

I notice when following the page. The command typed at : # gpart add -t freebsd da0
# gpart set -a active -i 1 da0
creates da0s1 and then automatically creates da0s1a and da0s1b. The one with an a at the end is theFreeBSD-ufs with 882G space and the other is FreeBSD-swap with 48G of space. I then have 2.5m space left.

It shows da0 to be MBR and active. The da0 drive holds a total of 931G of space.

After typing the command # gpart add -t freebsd da0

when I continue to follow your page. The commands after that part of the page. I get errors saying no free space.

hockey97 said:
Yes, I spent 2 days following the pages you provided me with. I followed line by line exactly what is says to do.
Yet, when I get to the point to use restore and I change the directory to /mnt then run the restore command. I still get the same error message about the temp directory is full.

Except it says /tmp. I've never had that little space in /tmp, I guess. After mounting /mnt, I would set TMPDIR to be the root of the empty filesystem being restored: setenv TMPDIR /mnt

I notice when following the page. The command typed at : # gpart add -t freebsd da0
creates da0s1 and then automatically creates da0s1a and da0s1b.

Those are not created, they are the old versions on disk from before. But it does not matter, they are in the right place and should work.

wblock@ said:
hockey97 said:

Except it says /tmp. I've never had that little space in /tmp, I guess. After mounting /mnt, I would set TMPDIR to be the root of the empty filesystem being restored: setenv TMPDIR /mnt

creates da0s1 and then automatically creates da0s1a and da0s1b.

Those are not created, they are the old versions on disk from before. But it does not matter, they are in the right place and should work.

the command : setenv TMPDIR /mnt when I type setenv it spits out not found.

Then you are running sh(1). Use TMPDIR=/mnt instead.

It is not necessary to quote everything posted in the previous message.

wblock@ said:
Then you are running sh(1). Use TMPDIR=/mnt instead.

It is not necessary to quote everything posted in the previous message.

Nevermind. I got it to work with export TMPDIR=/mnt. I am able to run restore and it did transfer the files. I don't think it completed the transfer. However, it stopped and took me back to terminal. I rebooted the server and notice the server's hard drive isn't bootable. I am going to go back to the website you provided to go thru that process again and repeat the steps. However, the website is down. I am thinking not all the files transferred. I also had a alot of errors that said that it could't make a hard link to a bunch of files. I am thinking to restart the process over again and take things step by step again. Starting at your website page that you suggested me to look at to setup my hard drive.

Is there any way to test the dump file? I think it might be corrupted. I try to do a restore and I get a bunch of messages on the screen saying cannot make hard link for a list of files. It shows this message about 10 min after starting the restore process.
Then about 40 min it shows up on screen with another set of messages asking " abort [yn]? " but this is about the documentation for freebsd. It's the files for the handbook. It's requiring me for each file in the handbook area asking me if I want to abort. I eventually hit y and abort. I just would like to know if it's possible for me to enter something that says to always answer n for no for all proceeding questions?

Back