Solved Recover from broken upgrade, no GELI access

Hi. After some hours trying around I am quite lost now. Maybe someone can give me a hint.
I wanted to upgrade my laptop system from 11.1-RELEASE-p11 to 11.2-RELEASE. As I have successfully used boot environments on a virtual machine, I first set up beadm:
Bash:
portmaster sysutils/beadm
beadm list
beadm create 2018-08-06-00
beadm list
Everything seemed fine. But I felt too safe, so I didn’t try a reboot to see if I can really select one of those two boot environments. Omitting this was a mistake, I guess. Then I started the upgrade with
Bash:
freebsd-update -r 11.2-RELEASE upgrade
It took several attempts, but finally went trough just fine. I don’t know if it is normal that some drivers get broken at this point. My wireless stopped working after I restarted wpa_supplicant. Anyway, I rebooted.
So, here are the problems: No boot environments other than “default” can be selected. Where is my other boot environment? When I try to boot normally, then at some early point the machine reboots. When I try to boot with the old kernel, then I only get a single user mode shell. The contents of /var/log/messages is the following:
Code:
…
kernel: ada0 at ahcich0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
kernel: ada0: <SanDisk …> … SATA 3.x device
kernel: ada0: Serial Number …
kernel: ada0: 600.000MB/s …
kernel: ada0: Command Queueing enabled
kernel: ada0: 915715MB (… 512 byte sectors)
…
kernel: Trying to mount root from zfs:zroot/ROOT/default []...
…
kernel: GEOM_ELI: Device ada0p5.eli created.
kernel: GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-XTS 256
kernel: GEOM_ELI:     Crypto: hardware
kernel: pid 85 (zfs), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
kernel: pid 90 (zfs), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
kernel: pid 91 (zfs), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
…
init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
…
I try some stuff to see, what’s going on:
Code:
# mount
zroot/ROOT/default on / (zfs, …)
devfs on /dev (…)
procfs on /proc (…)

# geli list
Geom name: ada0p5.eli
State: ACTIVE
EncryptionAlgorithm: AES-XTS
KeyLength: 256
Crypto: hardware
Version: 7
UsedKey: 0
Flags: BOOT
KeysAllocated: 223
KeysTotal: 223
Providers:
1. Name: ada0p5.eli
   Mediasize: … (890G)
   Sectorsize: 4096
   Mode: r1w1e1
Consumers:
1. Name: ada0p5
   Mediasize: … (890G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 2097152
   Mode: r1w1e1
Geom name: ada0p4.eli
State: ACTIVE
EncryptionAlgorithm: AES-XTS
KeyLength: 128
Crypto: hardware
Version: 7
Flags: ONETIME, W-DETACH, W-OPEN
KeysAllocated: 1
KeysTotal: 1
Providers:
…
# geli attach /dev/ada0p5
Enter passphrase:
geli: Wrong key for ada0p5
# geli attach ada0p5
Enter passphrase:
geli: Wrong key for ada0p5
# zfs list
internal error: Invalid argument
Abort (core dumped)
# zfs mount zroot/ROOT/default
Abort (core dumped)
# zpool import -f -R /tmp/mount zroot
Abort (core dumped)
I tried all this stuff because I also booted an 11.2-Install-USB-Stick and unsuccessfully tried to access my encrypted ZFS. geli always complains “Wrong key for ada0p5”, despite the key is certainly correct. When I boot from my encrypted SSD, then the correct key is accepted (and there I also see that ada0p5 is the correct partition name), but after that I end up in single user mode and my home directory is not mounted and I cannot see all my files either.
This all seems like a mess to me. I would like to go in any of these directions:
  • roll back to my saved boot environment
  • boot with the new or the old kernel
  • access my files in single user mode
  • access my files on the live system
  • or whatever
For the moment I have no other idea than a complete new installation and restore from backup (which would not be so cool—much work, some data loss). Do you have any ideas?

Edit 1: I saw that the reboot problem may be linked to Virtualbox, which I indeed have installed as well. But I have no clue how I could remove these lines in /boot/loader.conf as I do not know how to access that file.

Edit 2: Before everything broke I also ran freebsd-update install, of course. That one took several attempts and finally succeeded. The upgrade command alone does nothing harmful, I guess.

Edit 3: This goes out from my once again running system. Yeay! I learned a lot, and especially that: Besides the encrypted zpool “zroot” there is an unencrypted zpool “bootpool”. I didn’t know that, but that explains, how I can access the loader.conf without password in the boot process. Ok. So in the running live system, I had to
Bash:
zpool import -f -R /tmp/mntboot bootpool
Then I could
Bash:
vi /tmp/mntboot/bootpool/boot/loader.conf
and comment out the beforementioned line
Code:
vboxdrv_load="YES"
Furthermore the geli attach had not worked, because I had to name the extra key file that’s residing in the bootpool as well. So now I can
Bash:
geli attach -k /tmp/mntboot/bootpool/boot/encryption.key ada0p5
and then
Bash:
zpool import -f -R /tmp/mntroot zroot
Or I simply boot into single-user mode of my installed system and
Bash:
mount -uw /
to be able to edit /etc/rc.conf, where I also comment out the line
Code:
vboxnet_enable="YES"

Thanks for accompanying me in learning all this stuff. Now I only have to finish my upgrade to 11.2, fix that VirtualBox shit and dive into the boot environments topic again to see why all that didn’t work as expected.

P.S.: That VirtualBox shit should really be mentioned in the release notes. Seems to be a known problem.

P.P.S.: It would be really nice if this forum would not block Tor. This is stupid.

You really saved my day. My server crashed the same way because of the "vboxdrv" and "vboxnet" being enabled.
It took me a little different road to get my zpool imported, but basically your hint was the solution.
Code:
# Download a FreeBSD-live-memstick.img
# boot with live system and enter shell
mkdir /tmp/mnt

# mount geli encrypted volumes, otherwise you will get an IOError trying to import rpool
# I have a mirrored ZFS pool on drives ada2 and ada3
geli attach /dev/ada2p3
geli attach /dev/ada3p3

# import zpool to another location
zpool import -o altroot=/tmp/mnt
# "/" of rpool needs to be manually mounted
zfs mount rpool/ROOT/default

# make the corrections
cd /tmp/mnt
vi ./boot/loader.conf   # comment out vboxdrv_load="YES"
vi ./etc/rc.conf        # comment out vboxnet_enable="YES"

zpool export