Recommendations for Mini ITX motherboard

balanga

Son of Beastie

I'd like some recommendations for a Mini ITX motherboard, a used one , a few years old. I already have a Fractal NODE 304 case and a Corsair RM650 PSU. I'm on a limited budget, so am interested in getting something which will work with what I already have for the lowest price.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I have a MSI MS-7835 for a couple of years, I'm very happy with it. It has an integrated Intel Atom that's passively cooled. It's almost 6 years old now.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Not sure about your country but I have a couple of hardware shops (Alternate, Informatique) that sell so-called "upgrade sets" in various price ranges. Those "sets" contain a mainboard, CPU and memory. They're great to use as a basis for a new PC.

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

Commell is a real good name in industrial boards as is Kontron. I like the MODT boards.
Mobile CPU's are cheap and use pins instead of flimsy fingers.
Advantech is a personal favorite. I use them alot. Got a bunch of SandyBridge AIMB-272 in the field. 2760QM is sweet.
No IO shield but new and cheap. Uses only 12V power so you would need to make a power adapter from an old power supply.
Plus only 3 SATA ports. Does have 4 pin Phoenix power externally. They are common on ebay.

shepper

Aspiring Daemon

Embedded solutions tend to be cost effective and these used to be around $140USD. If your goal is a desktop:
ASRock-J5005
Intel is having supply problems which I think accounts for rising prices
AMD has a SoC V1000 that is starting to hit the market in various ITX iterations if you can wait

If you are planning a low power net appliance/server, there are some ARM based mini-itx boards
ARM Mini-ITX