Other Recommendations for file comparison program

Can anyone recommend a file comparison program?

Midnight commander has such a built in function, which I find quite handy but it is quite simplistic and I'd like to find something a bit more powerful. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I use textproc/meld , it's not perfect, but it works. To me the best is Beyond Compare, which does not support FreeBSD, but its Linux version used to work in FreeBSD, then it stopped when they migrated from Qt4 to Qt5, haven't checked for long time. I use in a Linux box for commercial projects.

What are you after? Verify whether pairs of files (same name, same place in the directory hierarchy) are identical, but you don't care about the actual differences, only a single same/different indicator? And you need it to run really fast, about the speed the disk or file system can deliver data at? The most efficient approach is to calculate a good checksum of each (sha-256 or -512 will work well and runs fast), and compare the checksums. It is quite easy to wrap that in a script to run it over all files in a directory hierarchy, using find. The only kind of tricky part is to find files that are in the "other" directory hierarchy, but not present here, that requires a small amount of coding skills.

Let's not argue about the birthday paradoxon and the probability that the checksum approach will give the wrong answer; with large enough checksums (256 bits and so on) this is a non-problem in the real world.

If you are after comparing files and getting information about what the differences are: Why not just use the built-in diff, with the -r option? That will walk directory trees.

Back