Recommendation for FreeBSD online school

Ive been trying to learn FreeBSD on an off for years. I always run into the same brick wall, when I have questions and try to access different formats on the net, Like chat sites on IRC, I get high school kid crap and dont learn ANYthing.

Heres what my main goal is. A small business. I want to run a server to lease out web space and do domains and the basics. I understand FreeBSD has the best security and is best for the job at hand. Also PHP and so on.

I need to find an online school or college for FreeBSD. I've been searching with no luck so far. I was hopeing I could get some suggestions here.

Thanks in advance

I don't know about that, but I can recommend you two very good books:

1. FreeBSD 6 Unleashed
2. Absolutely FreeBSD

(In that order as far as I am concerned).

Those two, combined with the online handbook on freebsd.org + this forum should get you somewhere (says I, as a noob myself :p).

Just read the handbook and don't waste any time before you master it.

Read it carefully and be patient.

If you don't know howto install freebsd? read chapter 2

If you don't know whoto install software? read chapter 4

If something confuse you, ask here, many people will help you.

A long time ago, when I started try to learn the Unix-like OS(Debian GNU/Linux), someone recommended me use windows many many times.

But I didn't give up for that recommendations.

Now, I run FreeBSD as my desktop. :)

Although FreeBSD is good for this, I suspect that what you need more is the general knowledge about DNS, webserver software, network topology, email(sendmail), backup strategies etc, as this is not specific to FreeBSD.

Most universities have CS programs, and that is what you probably should be looking for in terms of "official" education and courses. But in my mind there is nothing better than to dive in and start using the software and reading the manuals and any tutorials found on the web. I would say that I could start a businesses like this after close to 10 years using *nix systems and their clones/derivatives, so the primary thing you would need is time or hire someone to do that for you while you learn.

fender0107401 said:
Just read the handbook and don't waste any time before you master it.

Read it carefully and be patient.

If you don't know howto install freebsd? read chapter 2

If you don't know whoto install software? read chapter 4

If something confuse you, ask here, many people will help you.

A long time ago, when I started try to learn the Unix-like OS(Debian GNU/Linux), someone recommended me use windows many many times.

But I didn't give up for that recommendations.

Now, I run FreeBSD as my desktop. :)

Thanks for your responce.

Over the years on an off, Ive have used the handbook and all. Just that it doesnt explain in detail what Im doing. It took me like 3 times just to get the install correct. My problem is, I have no-one to ask questions too. Well, in forums like this, and IRC chat channels, Its frustrating because most of them are, Im assuming young teenagers. I get more insults and high school Makeings fun of, Than I do getting answers. Im 54 years old serious about starting a business. Doing this by just reading, with no one to help has discuraged me every time. And haveing a bunch of kids laughing cuz someones new at it, is counter productive.

So Thats why Im seeking a school. Or at least an expert that will help with questions. I'm in a small town in Alaska and most here never heard of unix, much less any other OSs for it.

Again, thanks for your help. I appreciate your time

Caliante said:
I don't know about that, but I can recommend you two very good books:

1. FreeBSD 6 Unleashed
2. Absolutely FreeBSD

(In that order as far as I am concerned).

Those two, combined with the online handbook on freebsd.org + this forum should get you somewhere (says I, as a noob myself :p).

Thanks for that advice. Ill look into those.

gilinko said:
Although FreeBSD is good for this, I suspect that what you need more is the general knowledge about DNS, webserver software, network topology, email(sendmail), backup strategies etc, as this is not specific to FreeBSD.

Most universities have CS programs, and that is what you probably should be looking for in terms of "official" education and courses. But in my mind there is nothing better than to dive in and start using the software and reading the manuals and any tutorials found on the web. I would say that I could start a businesses like this after close to 10 years using *nix systems and their clones/derivatives, so the primary thing you would need is time or hire someone to do that for you while you learn.

I was concisering hireing out as well. But I dont like the idea of my employees knowing more about this than I do. I know Ill be hireing later. No doubt. 24 hour bussiness needs a few people to run. But I want to know this stuff in an out and sideways before makeing the financial plunge.

Thanks for youre recomendation.

As someone who also tinkered with BSD over a number of years, but never fully dove in until recently, I would recommend the school of hard knocks. Install FreeBSD on a machine and don't use any other computer unless it also has FreeBSD. Like learning a new language, there's no beating immersion. If you have absolutely no other options, you will learn many times faster because you have no alternatives.

I understand what you're asking, but there is no FreeBSD formal training (that I'm aware of anyway). Those that don't use the forums, mailing lists or the handbook probably have a job where they are mentored. You could stimulate your learning experience by aiming for a BSD Certificate, but the "courseware" is really handbooks and man pages.

If you'd like to add a book to your list, FreeBSD Hacks deserves your attention.

r u sure you can make $? I tried to do that many years ago. when website-hosting were like $400 month...now it is like $5...do not know how they make money...I did my own DNS, web and email. I still do not know a lot of things about freebsd after all these years...

jt202 said:
Over the years on an off, Ive have used the handbook and all. Just that it doesnt explain in detail what Im doing. It took me like 3 times just to get the install correct.
You won't believe how many installs I screwed up over the past 10 years. That's how you learn, by making mistakes.

My problem is, I have no-one to ask questions too. Well, in forums like this, and IRC chat channels, Its frustrating because most of them are, Im assuming young teenagers. I get more insults and high school Makeings fun of, Than I do getting answers. Im 54 years old serious about starting a business. Doing this by just reading, with no one to help has discuraged me every time. And haveing a bunch of kids laughing cuz someones new at it, is counter productive.
I think the average age on this board is about 35-40, not really a lot of teenagers here ;)

man(ual) pages and examples

FreeBSD has excellent documentation which you should take advantage of in your quest for knowledge. When you want to learn about a configuration file just type "man" and the name of the file. As an example, if you wanted to learn about /etc/rc.conf, you would type

# man rc.conf

and it will display information about the file. You will use man to get information on the various ports/packages you install, but that documentation is dependent upon the people maintaining those applications so it is hit-or-miss. Some applications will have its manual/documentation in a help file accessed through the 'Help' menu or its web site.

At the bottom of the man pages there could be a "SEE ALSO" section listing more man pages, usually with a number in parenthesis at the end such as, chmod(1), fstab(5), etc. Including the number in your man search will either go directly to that section of the documentation or only display that section of the documentation. You put the number between the command and file like so:

# man 1 chmod
# man 5 fstab

/usr/share/examples is where you need to go for examples on what can go into the various configuration files. Not all files have an example and some examples are copies of the default files that get installed with the system.

If you did not already know, http://www.daemonforums.org/ is another great *BSD site.

I found a link to this site, http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/security/harden.php, in the "Hardening FreeBSD" post in the "FreeBSD Security" section on the daemonforums web site. It also happens to be one of the "TOP GUIDES" on the home page of the BSDGuides web site.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice.

Since thern Ive been contacting schools and colleges all over and some teach linux and some teach unix. Im just kinda surprized there are no schools that teach freebsd. Being that Ive seen plenty of hi end busineses that use it.

The time you guys speak of to learn this on ones own, as opposed to doing hourly lessons. Not sure if I can handle the time load. I got like 3 and 4 jobs I work at :/

However I'll get those books and use my old machine for a test dummy. Worst that can happen is getting laughed at for stupid questions I reckon :/

There are training courses available for FreeBSD. Not very local to Alaska, but they are available. :) Don't know of anything specifically for online learning, though.

A great book to get to know the inner workings of FreeBSD and how it all works together is Greg Leahy's The Complete FreeBSD. It's out-of-date (covers FreeBSD 5.x), but goes into great details about the user side of FreeBSD. I started out with the first version of this book, covering FreeBSD 3.1, and found it to be absolutely invaluable to learning FreeBSD 3.x and 4.x.

There are lots of books available that cover FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x. Not sure if there are any that cover 7.x, and almost certain there are none that cover 8.x.

Other than that, there are lots of good websites for FreeBSD beginners. Dru Lavigne's FreeBSD Basics is a good place to start.

Taking a Unix course wouldn't be a complete waste of time. Nor a Linux course, for that matter. I learnt what little I know from a combination of trying and failing a lot, and an obsolete* textbook** that pretty much only covered DOS, Unix, and MVS/VMS. And the handbook, obviously.

* At the time, it was almost 9 years old, which is an eternity in the computer world! By 1996 OS/2 will rule the business world, and massively parallel computing will be on everyone's desktop in a tiny, RISC package. Those BBN kids know where it's at.

**To draw this back to the Minix thread (make your own link, I'm tired): the OSI model will soon obsolete TCP/IP.

If you want to test your knowledge you could become BSD certified: http://www.bsdcertification.org/

There are exam locations all over the world and I am sure they have various resources on their website.

As previously mentioned there are also various books:
Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD, 2nd Edition
Building a Server with FreeBSD 7
BSD UNIX Toolbox: 1000+ Commands for FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD

Honestly, you are going to pay good money for post secondary level classes that may be *nix related, but not BSD specific and what you will get is some introductory theory, maybe a little hands-on lab time and still find yourself scratching your head staring at a hash prompt.

Trust the wealth of experience in here, if you want to become adept at BSD administration, use it, use it, use it - read the handbook, the man pages. I started with SCO Unix in the mid-to-late 90s, dabbled with some linux and then latched onto BSD 4.x and never looked back.

along with some of the other resources mentioned, I've used http://onlamp.com/bsd/ alot over the years.

needless to say... I'm not a teenager either

So basically you're trying to start a business in an area you have absolutely no experience in and you're wondering why you're getting made fun of?

mharvey87 said:
So basically you're trying to start a business in an area you have absolutely no experience in and you're wondering why you're getting made fun of?

Im glad this guy piped in. A perfect example of what I was talking about earlier. 100% counter productive responce

This is definitely the best group of all the forums and channels Ive visited. In 18 or so posts, good informative advice. Great suggestions and recomendations. Only ONE that had to be a smart ass. But at least confirms what I’ve been dealing with over the years. Got to be one in every crowd I guess. In this case Only one fortunatly :) In most other places its an exact opposite ratio.

Im going to assume the Avatar is the dude's real Photo? Or mabey thats 2 or 3 years younger or so?

No need to get personal, guys. That goes for everyone. Stick to the topic.

It sounds like you don't have time to learn all the advanced admin stuff to be able to run Web hosting business from bare-bones system. Why not get shared/managed host running FreeBSD from existing hosting company, which has installed cPanle, Plesk, Webmin or other front-end tools which will help you admin, all the web space, email and DNS settings for your customers with few clicks. This will also introduce you about all these protocols and how they work on the Internet.

In mean time you can learn stuff so in the future you can manage your own bare-bones FreeBSD server and move your customers.

DutchDaemon said:
No need to get personal, guys. That goes for everyone. Stick to the topic.

My sincere apologies. I generally don’t reply at all to those types of replies. Got a little carried away.

Thank you

bojan said:
It sounds like you don't have time to learn all the advanced admin stuff to be able to run Web hosting business from bare-bones system. Why not get shared/managed host running FreeBSD from existing hosting company, which has installed cPanle, Plesk, Webmin or other front-end tools which will help you admin, all the web space, email and DNS settings for your customers with few clicks. This will also introduce you about all these protocols and how they work on the Internet.

In mean time you can learn stuff so in the future you can manage your own bare-bones FreeBSD server and move your customers.

Now thats the best one yet. I did get far enough to use cpanel and plesk. Which was a breeze. Thats the ticket. I can still learn while useing a managed server. Still need to get familliar with DNS and domain stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion

If you want to learn DNS in less 24 hours do this:
-Read Wikipedia article on DNS
-Read one of the main RFC's on it
-Find a good online reference to DNS headers
-Read handbook chapter on DNS
-Use the handbook to practice setting up a master, slave, and caching DNS server
-Download wireshark and scapy, then do some experimentation

You are also going to need to learn about apache, specifically virtual hosting.

Seems to me like you haven't really thought about what you expect to get out of taking a course in FreeBSD. Unfortunately it's entirely possible that you finish the course with a certificate saying you are competent at administering a FreeBSD system when you really aren't. I'm not implying that you wouldn't do well is such a course, just that there are so many factors that may prevent you from achieving your objective of learning to administer a FreeBSD system, like the quality of instruction, the quality of materials, the amount of time you have to devote to the classes, to doing homework, etc. It's my opinion, like some other guys on here, that if you're planning on devoting your time to learning about networking fundamentals and the standards that apply them, like TCP/IP, DNS, etc. Because once you have the fundamentals, learning to manipulate them with the tools (i.e. FreeBSD, Linux, whatever) will be much easier. It's better to learn how to build the house before learning to swing the hammer. Just my 2 cents.

Back