ZFS recommend a bookmark-capable zfs snapshot tool?

dch

Developer
Does anybody know of a straightforward cron-friendly zfs replication tool that:

• takes scheduled snapshots (hourly, daily, weekly etc)
  • can prune them
  • handles replication
  • supports bookmarks
  • ideally supports resumables

Most -> least wanted features.

You ask for a "snapshot tool" in your title and a "replication tool" in your OP. I can't think of any one tool that takes snapshots and replicates filesystems/pools, so you should clarify which you want. It's also not clear what you mean by "bookmark-capable" or "supports bookmarks." Bookmarks are basically specialized snapshots, much like clones are. What you do after creating them is entirely up to you, and no-one can tell you whether the tool you're looking for exists if you don't explain what that tool is.

thanks! I wasn't aware of zap, and while I found https://github.com/jimsalterjrs/sanoid/ it isn't quite so FreeBSD focused. I'll start with zap, and report back on how I need to teach it to thin out snapshots.

ANOKNUSA bookmark capable would seem reasonably straightforwards to me -> able to create & replicate from bookmarks, not just snapshots.

ANOKNUSA bookmark capable would seem reasonably straightforwards to me -> able to create & replicate from bookmarks, not just snapshots.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking clearly, since incremental replication is all bookmarks are really for. In my defense, I'd just woken up when I wrote that, sorry. :p

It may seem crude, but I just write my own scripts to handle the first three issues on your list, and then run them from cron, as you suggest. No need for anything ports.

If you want, I can post my rudimentary script for snapshot trimming, but it may be too basic for your needs.

Back