Rebuilding pam libraries for longer username support

Does anyone know if the pam libraries could be rebuilt with support for longer than 32 character usernames?

As discussed in this thread (http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=1447), I was successfully able to do a rebuild world with support for longer usernames but it appears that a 32 byte limit is hardcoded into the pam libraries.

Has anyone ever done this?

Am I looking at the correct files for the pam libraries that are used for login authentication (/usr/src/lib/libpam/modules/pam_krb5/)?

Does anyone know if changing the luser[32] definition in pam_krb5.c will cause any other problems?

Does anyone know if (and how) the pam libraries could be rebuilt without doing a rebuild world and/or recompiling the kernel?

Thanks

pam_krb5 have sense only in kerberos setup, if you are aware what kerberos means.

For last question here is example:

# cd /usr/src/lib/libpam && make && make install && make clean && reboot

Good point. Actually, I'm not using kerberos on the particular server I was checking this on, so I'll have to look elsewhere. Seems like pam_unix.c might be a better starting point, although at first glance I don't see a 32 character limit in there.

Good to know that a fairly standard make install.. should do it. Seems like a rebuild world isn't needed, which is nice.

Back