Solved Reading hours from S.M.A.R.T hard drive

Hi All

I'd like to be able to read the number of hours a hard drive has been used since it left the factory. I understand it's in the SMART data and have pulled it from other drives before.

The servers are older HP Proliant DL360s Gen 5, they use the p400i SMART Array (I have paired the hard drives into mirror RAIDS)

The hard drives are 443177-001, HP 72GB 10k serial scsi (small form factor SFF) AKA 434916-001

I've tried reading them with hpacucli but can't seem to get the hours data from them, smartctl says SMART is not available (which I think is incorrect)

Does anyone monitor their drives to replace them proactively?

Any help with hpacucli or any other newer app that will give me this data would be appreciated.

Jeff

Thanks Eric, I found this command works:

smartctl -a --device=cciss,0 /dev/ciss0 | less

but it still doesn't report the hours. but it lists the log of self tests so I ran this:

smartctl -t short --device=cciss,0 /dev/ciss0

I waited a few minutes for the test to complete then I ran the first command again and in the report log section was a listing of the just completed test including a "Lifetime (hours)" number (47204 = 5.38 years, which is about right, I rarely turn these off and I bought these drives used in Dec 2014)

Changing the command to "cciss,1" tests and reports on the other drive in my RAID.

Back