Read-only file, not written; use ! to override.

hello

i cant edit this file
Code:
vi /etc/rc.conf
if used
esc and :w
show me

Code:
Read-only file, not written; use ! to override.

or :w!

how i can edit this file

thanks

thanks your reply
but how used this ?
# mount -u -w /
$ mount -u -w

Code:
/dev/ad6s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad6s1g on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad6s1d on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad6s1e on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad6s1f on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)

Are you, in fact, in single-user mode? Or else those mount commands have no real value.

Post the output of:

1. [cmd=]ls -alo /etc/rc.conf[/cmd]
2. [cmd=]id[/cmd]

DutchDaemon said:
Are you, in fact, in single-user mode? Or else those mount commands have no real value.

Post the output of:

1. [cmd=]ls -alo /etc/rc.conf[/cmd]
2. [cmd=]id[/cmd]

Code:
$ ls -alo /etc/rc.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  - 545 Mar 19 22:03 /etc/rc.conf

Code:
$ id
uid=1001(admin) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel)

killasmurf86 said:
mount -uo rw /

Code:
$ mount -uo rw /
mount: /dev/ad6s1a : Operation not permitted

free-man20101 said:
$ id
uid=1001(admin) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel)

Which indcates that you aren't root when you are trying to edit the file, so as said by fronclynne you have to be root to be allowed to edit that file(ie you have to be root to be able to save it from whithin vi). The mount commands given is for when you are in single-user-mode, not when the system is fully booted.

gilinko said:
Which indcates that you aren't root when you are trying to edit the file, so as said by fronclynne you have to be root to be allowed to edit that file(ie you have to be root to be able to save it from whithin vi). The mount commands given is for when you are in single-user-mode, not when the system is fully booted.

im new with freebsd

how do i do this?

[cmd=]su -[/cmd]

Enter the root password. You're now root (with a # prompt instead of a $ prompt), as [cmd=]id[/cmd] will tell you.

How you become root? Type $ su in the terminal and you will have to give root's password that you set during the install of the system.

However if you are completly new to any form of unix like system, I would strongly suggest that you first of all read the FreeBSD Handbook. Read all of it, however focus on chapter 3, 4, 5, 11 and 13. And use google to find some general freebsd/linux/unix tutorials.

Back