Raspberry Pi 2 and jails

Hi,

first I'm a new user of FreeBSD, and I really enjoy it. I'm testing FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT on my Raspberry Pi 2, and try to make Jails work, but sysutils/ezjail or sysutils/cbsd can't get base.txz.

Is it because FreeBSD 11.0 is still under development or Rpi2 (armv6) doesn't support jails? Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

Both try to download release versions by default. And there is no 11.0-RELEASE yet.

10-RELEASE doesn't work with rpi2, that's why I took 11.0. As this is just for playing around, it's not a problem :)

10.2-RELEASE kernel doesn't work on an RPI2, but I cannot think of anything preventing you to run a 10.x jail on CURRENT.

I look for 10.x CURRENT image, but I can't find it. Only 11.0-CURRENT, 10.2-RELEASE and 10.2-STABLE.

Am I mixing up branches terms?

Yes, you do. :)

11.0-CURRENT is the branch for the upcoming 11.0-RELEASE. The 10.x branch has 10.[012]-RELEASE which are release snapshots and 10-STABLE which is the development version of 10.

It looks like this:

freebsd-branches.png

lme@ is right. I didn't think of that. Having various versions of userland is how ports-mgmt/poudriere compiles packages against different releases of FreeBSD. Unless something on ARM doesn't behave properly, the new 11.0-CURRENT base system and kernel should be able to run userland applications from older releases just fine. Off the top of my head the only incompability I've seen on my 11.0-CURRENT amd64 system with 10.2-RELEASE jails is sockstat(1) run in a jail doesn't interpret some values from the kernel properly.

If you can select the release than that should work. I think with sysutils/ezjail you would just override it with env UNAME_r=10.2-RELEASE ezjail-admin <blah> to pick what gets used/updated. However I haven't used sysutils/ezjail a while so you'll have to double check that the expected result does indeed happen.

Off the top of my head the only incompability I've seen on my 11.0-CURRENT amd64 system with 10.2-RELEASE jails is sockstat(1) run in a jail doesn't interpret some values from the kernel properly.
You get similar issues if you run 9.x jails on a 10.x host.

It seems that for armv6, there is no basejail for 10.X-RELEASE nor 10.2-STABLE. So my only option is to make my own.

First I have to build the world for the host system. On Raspi (my only machine on FreeBSD), someone have an idea on how much time does it take? Hours, days, more? And how much space disk I need (i only have a 8Gb sd card)?

Hi.

I'm having same problem.
Where can I find instructions to build base.txz? Googling returned nothing usefull so far...

Back