Quick screen lock is broken: "The screen locker is broken and unlocking is not possible..."

I press: "CTRL + ALT + L"

Then got this:
IMG_2970.jpg

So I enter to a terminal session by entering on keyboard:
"CTRL + ALT + F2"

Did the following and nothing works:
IMG_2971.jpg

How to unlock or remove the lock screen from terminal?

Here the system details:

Uptime: 18 mins
Packages: 1691 (pkg)
Shell: sh
Resolution: 3840x2160
DE: Plasma 5.24.7
WM: KWin
Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
Icons: [Plasma], breeze-dark [GTK2/3]
Terminal: konsole
CPU: AMD FX-8350 (8) @ 3.991GHz
GPU: Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
Memory: 10856MiB / 32684MiB

Thanks.

I tried all possible varibles:

Session0-9
nothing works.

That screen shot was just an example for me to take a photo to show to this thread, I did however used the correct spelling when I used it before I took the photo.

Assuming your X session doesn't run as root, I see another error here: You can only unlock sessions of your own user, so log in as the same user running the X session.

Just seen this one today - just happened out of the blue, then again not long after running the suggested consolekit command. Final nudge I need to encourage me to jump ship from the broken KDE plasma mess. Been running it on FreeBSD since 2021 and constantly having to fix things, delete cache, delete all dotfiles, fighting with bugs with sddm, the issue with the baloo_file_extractor slowing the system to a crawl and it goes on...

Reported errors can be linuxisms. It's an excellent error-ridden desktop environment like an oxymoron.😶‍🌫️

… broken KDE plasma mess … running it on FreeBSD since 2021 and constantly having to fix things, delete cache, delete all dotfiles, fighting with bugs with sddm, …

I have used KDE Plasma and SDDM on FreeBSD, nearly always FreeBSD-CURRENT, since around 2015.

Plasma and SDDM are not a broken mess.

Through a Wayback Machine copy of that March 2022 post:

• for Discover
  • not related to screen locking
  • fixed
  • not related to screen locking.
All open kscreenlocker reports:

Two open reports for security/plasma5-kscreenlocker on FreeBSD:
I recently closed a report that affects locking, there'll be documentation in due course.

Bugs in 5.2.4: updates to 5.24.4​

Included:
  • SDDM/lockscreen: Fix weird behaviour.
For anyone who's curious, the weirdness there did not relate to the opening post here. The commit referred to:

I tried all possible varibles:

Session0-9
nothing works.

That screen shot was just an example for me to take a photo to show to this thread, I did however used the correct spelling when I used it before I took the photo.

That's extraordinary.

Last time I encountered a breakage, months ago, I did exactly as instructed, as root:

Then, the customary switch away:
  • from the virtual terminal
  • to the desktop environment.

Documentation​

The on-screen hint, above, lacks this hint:
  • Alt+F9
First_Law_of_Unix please, can you remember, in March 2023, were you aware of the need to use Alt+F9 (or Control+Alt+F9)?

Without this, it's normal to remain at the command prompt.

Technical​

Control+Alt+F2 takes to you the tty numbered 1, then Alt+F9 takes you (back) to the tty numbered 8.

ttyv8 is the norm for a desktop environment on FreeBSD.

cat /etc/ttys

tty(1)

ttys(5)

HTH (hope that helps).

Back