Quick question about pkg_add

Hey guys,

Don't mean to be redundant I just want to make sure that the problem with the packages is my problem. I found some servers on ebay IBM xseries for pretty cheap so I bought five. I of course installed freeBSD on all of them. Afterwords I added Xorg and Gnome with pkg_add no problem whatsoever. A little change to rc.conf and we were up and running at boot. Now I only have a usb keyboard and mouse and can't find my adapters so I couldn't hook up my wireless. Instead I shared my connection with my windows pc and used it to install the packages with a crossover cable connected between them. Like I said no problemo. Now I have tried to install firefox...no dice, then since I was wanting to use one of the servers as a file and print server I tried to install samba...no dice. It gives me the error it can't find it on the ftp or http servers if you know what im talking about. I can post the exact error if you need me to. Just making sure that is my problem.

Brian

Post the exact error please. It's rather hard to understand what goes wrong without it.

Ok I tried logging in as root through another login and installing them that way. I got the same error. I figured it had something with permissions so I just started the server without gnome and was able to install the packages. Who needs a gui anyway I'm just using it as a file and print server.

On a separate note. I'm about to try something Ive never tried before. I am about to try to use MONO to run a .net application on the server. I don't have the source however. This probably isn't the right place to ask this question and if not could you direct me to the right place.

Since I don't have the source I figured I could try WINE or even WIN4BSD, and install xp on it. It only took a quick trip to the online Microsoft store to look how much Microsoft server would cost me to decide to do this instead. So the question is. Do I need mono if using wine? If i'm using WIN4BSD I shouldn't need anything but windows xp with the .net framework installed correct? Grrrr to much to do so little time.

Brian

Back