Question on missing lib after update.

Greetings. I run FreeBSD on Intel NUC. Recently, I've updated from Release version 11.1 to 11.2. The update went smoothly but
after the update, I ran into an issue with certain libs being reported missing.
When running command 'pkg' I get a response:

Shared object "libpkg.so.3" not found, required by "pkg"

When running command to invoke python, I get a response:

Shared object "libintl.so.8" not found, required by "python"

Any ideas what happened to these libs and how to recover them?

Odd. None of those libraries are actually part of the base OS. So they shouldn't be changed when you upgraded.

Try and fix pkg(8) first with: pkg-static install -f pkg

I had to properly chflag the pkg in order to reinstall it. It was secured from deletion. Now the new version works fine.
However, after reinstalling python and running ldd on it, it still reports the libintl.so.8 missing.

However, after reinstalling python and running ldd on it, it still reports the libintl.so.8 missing.
Useful command to sort these things out:
Code:
root@maelcum:~ # pkg which /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.8
/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.8 was installed by package gettext-runtime-0.19.8.1_1
Based on that, try pkg install -f gettext-runtime

You can also run an automated check using pkg-check(8).

Is it normal that packages installed via pkg (including the pkg itself) end up in /usr/local ?
Generally, the system packages on linux end up in /usr

Is it normal that packages installed via pkg (including the pkg itself) end up in /usr/local ?
Yes, that's normal.

Seriously: it helps to read the FreeBSD handbook, that way you'll learn about these basic facts.

The FreeBSD base system is a totally separate setup from general package management. Unlike with Linux you cannot disrupt the base system by removing the wrong package(s). Therefor nothing gets installed "within" the base system because it has no place there. As such: /usr/local.

It's actually mandatory, so yes, it's normal.

Generally speaking Linux is only a kernel and nothing else. FreeBSD is a complete OS.

Back