Solved question about screen command spliting terminal in freebsd 14.1 VT

Dear all:
i have install screen command in freebsd14.1 , now i have run screen in freebsd14.1 VT and create 2 windows. when you used below command to split windows, it's not work .
C-a | (split -v) Split the current
region vertically
into two new ones.

C-a S (split) Split the current
region horizontally
into two new ones.
See also only, re-
move, focus.

what is my step ,? 1. run screen command in freebsd 14.1 VT .
2. Ctl+a+c create new terminal window in screen . now , we have two windows.
3. i want to use ctl+a+shift+s (ctl+a+shift+\)to split it .
any problem with commad of my typing ?
thanks.

Works fine with the default configuration. CTRL-A Shift-S splits horizontally.

Works fine with the default configuration. CTRL-A Shift-S splits horizontally.
Dear sirdice :
it's not work for me . i don't know the reason . now i have 3 windows. what ever i do , the windows cannot split . thanks.
screen -v
Screen version 4.09.01 (GNU) 20-Aug-23

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-08-26 16-32-13.png
    Screenshot from 2024-08-26 16-32-13.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 27
This isn't vt(4), that's a terminal connection, vt(4) is the console. And looking at the way it looks I suspect you have a custom ~/.screenrc that remapped some things.

Dear all :
thanks for your help . problem be removed by my most test . thanks. below picture is my wanted.
most important about key inputting.
when you open a screen command in terminal , or VT(4) console.
1. now you will create first screen terminal window, this time you can spit window, or create other terminal window too.
2. if you want to spit window first ,then add new terminal window. fellow my step .
in screen window, type " ctl + a " first , then release your finger from keyboard, then press "shift+s " , now you will see the split window.
import point is : type "ctl+a" , release your finger from keyboard. then type again "shift+s" .... all screen command is fellow this step.

my wrong was : type "ctl+a+shift+s " in the same time , no release my finger from keyboard. thanks for all.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-08-26 16-57-14.png
    Screenshot from 2024-08-26 16-57-14.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 23
my wrong was : type "ctl+a+shift+s " in the same time
Yes, that's not correct. It's ctrl-a, then shift-s. Not all four keys at the same time. The ctrl-a is the "attention" signal to screen(1), it tells it to expect the next key (or key combination) to be something for screen(1) to respond to.

Back