question about ethernet port

Hi,

So i have a FreeBSD 13CURRENT on my pc and it was working great. Until today, that i tried to connect to the internet and it just couldnt. I tried to change the ethernet port on the router but still nothing. I reset the router but still no luck. I booted from the 2nd drive to check if its the same on ubuntu and it is the same. I am guessing that this might be the network adapters problem in my motherboard.

Is there a way to check it from freeBSD? For example see if the ethernet is working(on pci0:25:0:0) or somehow troubleshoot the network card or the ethernet ports.

Thanks in advance!

I cannot see the ethernet driver on ifconfig, I can only see lo0
Is this an onboard card? Perhaps you disabled it in the BIOS? Most of the time when a network card dies it's the PHY (physical) part, the card itself is then still being detected.

i wanna check the status of the ethernet port, if its alive.
Look at the status LED on the port of the machine and the port of the router, if there's a link it should light up on both sides. No light, no link. Try a different cable to rule out issues with the cable.

Is this an onboard card? Perhaps you disabled it in the BIOS? Most of the time when a network card dies it's the PHY (physical) part, the card itself is then still being detected.

Look at the status LED on the port of the machine and the port of the router, if there's a link it should light up on both sides. No light, no link. Try a different cable to rule out issues with the cable.
I checked it and there is no light from the 2nd side, although it was supposed to either blink or be stable as you mentioned. I switched the cables from the plug-router to pc-router and vice versa and its still not working.

Is there a link that i can see what network cards are available and have drivers for FreeBSD?
I am guessing its the last solution to a faulty ethernet port on motherboard.

I checked it and there is no light from the 2nd side, although it was supposed to either blink or be stable as you mentioned. I switched the cables from the plug-router to pc-router and vice versa and its still not working.

Is there a link that i can see what network cards are available and have drivers for FreeBSD?
I am guessing its the last solution to a faulty ethernet port on motherboard.
SirDice if the ethernet port was working but there were drivers issues, would the interface still pop up at the ifconfig?

Look at the output of pciconf -lv, everything should show up there, even stuff that has no driver. It's an enumeration of the devices as ACPI detects them. Everything is always detected through that. If it's not there it's either been disabled in the BIOS or it's broken.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
In Ubuntu you can use ethtool, it will show the physical layer problems. I wonder what tool in FreeBSD can do the same?

Back