QJail vs VmWare vSphere

Hello,

I'm looking at various way to do my first install on a physical server.

I need to have the following

- web Server (apache + Tomcat)
- Email Server (incl AV, spam,....)
- Database Server (MySql)

Now my hardware is limited to HP DL385 Dual AMD Opteron 2.6GHZ 6GB RAM 146GB SCSI hardrives (4x36.5GB).
I also have a spare 300Gb scsi disk at my disposale that I could fit in the server.

now.. the question is:

Should I use raidz to do a raid 5 type of install with 3 jails
OR
Should I do a physical raid and use VmWare instead of using jails?

I welcome any sugestion.

Thank you
Fred

I would do that without VMware and only on FreeBSD Jails.

... also, You are comparing here Operating System Level Virtualization ( FreeBSD Jails) to Hypervisor Type 1 Virtualization (VMware ESX/vSphere) which is comparing Apples to Oranges.

I think he is asking if he should go for a ZFS RAIDZ with jails or a Physical RAID with vmware.

Avoid booting off a ZFS RAIDZ. Just use the controller's build in RAID to install FreeBSD and run everything in Jails.

If you want to use ZFS, use a spare (smaller) drive to do a UFS boot and install your jails in a RAIDZ1 Pool.

Thank you gkontos,

This was exactly what i was asking.

Why booting off a ZFS RAIDZ is not good?

If use the controller's build in RAID and my 3 jails, can i change my disk to a bigger size like in a zfs system?

thank you

fred

fred974 said:
Why booting off a ZFS RAIDZ is not good?

Experience has showed me that anything beyond a mirror can cause problems in the future. In theory you can do it. But in real life, given the way parity check works, you should just avoid it.[/QUOTE]

fred974 said:
If use the controller's build in RAID and my 3 jails, can i change my disk to a bigger size like in a zfs system?

You would have to check with your controller specs for this.

Back