QEMU/KVM FreeBSD Guest running X and a working mouse.

tux2bsd

Sharing a useful bit of information for those that might need a QEMU/KVM FreeBSD Guest running X with a working mouse.
Working in that it is usable.

Add input device "EvTouch USB Graphics Tablet" in virt-manager.
In the guest:
pkg install utouch-kmod xf86-input-evdev
edit /boot/loader.conf as instructed.
reboot (guest)

There is mention of 'libspice-server' and 'spice-protocol' so the spice change may not be needed... I haven't experimented enough. Other stuff to dabble with change from Spice to VNC in virt-manager.

More information here:
https://tips.graphica.com.au/freebsd-gnome-on-qemu/ (John, if you see this you're a legend!)

OP
T

tux2bsd

No mouse in the guest in X was such an annoying problem, glad there was a work around.

lightdm won't start but can live without it as startx is OK.

OP
T

tux2bsd

Personally I've never had issues with FreeBSD guest mouse
That doesn't provide any useful information.

kspatlas what's your environment? What Linux OS? What versions of the relevant virtualization software are you running?

teo

Aspiring Daemon

Sharing a useful bit of information for those that might need a QEMU/KVM FreeBSD Guest running X with a working mouse.

In the guest:
reboot (guest)

There is mention of 'libspice-server' and 'spice-protocol' so the spice change may not be needed... I haven't experimented enough. Other stuff to dabble with change from Spice to VNC in virt-manager.

More information here:
https://tips.graphica.com.au/freebsd-gnome-on-qemu/ (John, if you see this you're a legend!)
I have tried to use kvm/qemu for FreeBSD system with graphical desktop environment as a guest, and I have been left halfway, does not support spice-vdagent to install on the guest system in this case freebsd, this package, what it does is to share libraries (cd/dvd, external devices, folder) with the host system, and the failure of not being able to use the mouse.

teo

Aspiring Daemon

In the guest:
reboot (guest)
Hi
Can you write here the procedure of what to do in the /boot/loader.conf file? will help me when I get back to tinkering with FreeBSD on kvm/qemu virtualized.

OP
T

tux2bsd

One of those installed packages prints out what to add, you'll see it

checked my VM for you:

utouch_load="YES"