QEMU/KVM FreeBSD Guest running X and a working mouse.

Sharing a useful bit of information for those that might need a QEMU/KVM FreeBSD Guest running X with a working mouse.
Working in that it is usable.

Add input device "EvTouch USB Graphics Tablet" in virt-manager.
In the guest:
pkg install utouch-kmod xf86-input-evdev
edit /boot/loader.conf as instructed (this is output during the pkg install)
reboot (guest)

There is mention of 'libspice-server' and 'spice-protocol' so the spice change may not be needed... I haven't experimented enough. Other stuff to dabble with change from Spice to VNC in virt-manager.

More information here:
https://tips.graphica.com.au/freebsd-gnome-on-qemu/ (John, if you see this you're a legend!)

Last edited:
No mouse in the guest in X was such an annoying problem, glad there was a work around.

lightdm won't start but I can live without it as startx is OK.

Last edited:
Sharing a useful bit of information for those that might need a QEMU/KVM FreeBSD Guest running X with a working mouse.

In the guest:
edit /boot/loader.conf as instructed.
reboot (guest)

There is mention of 'libspice-server' and 'spice-protocol' so the spice change may not be needed... I haven't experimented enough. Other stuff to dabble with change from Spice to VNC in virt-manager.

More information here:
https://tips.graphica.com.au/freebsd-gnome-on-qemu/ (John, if you see this you're a legend!)
I have tried to use kvm/qemu for FreeBSD system with graphical desktop environment as a guest, and I have been left halfway, does not support spice-vdagent to install on the guest system in this case freebsd, this package, what it does is to share libraries (cd/dvd, external devices, folder) with the host system, and the failure of not being able to use the mouse.

In the guest:
edit /boot/loader.conf as instructed.
reboot (guest)
Hi
Can you write here the procedure of what to do in the /boot/loader.conf file? will help me when I get back to tinkering with FreeBSD on kvm/qemu virtualized.

One of those installed packages prints out what to add, you'll see it

checked my VM for you:

utouch_load="YES"

chessguy64 if you want to try FreeBSD in a VM on your Linux PC while you don't have compatible hardware. I'm not assisting further though, google KVM libvirt virt-manager and you'll find your way.

What hardware do I have that isn't compatible?
You were whinging the other day in your thread that got censored (removed). I recalled that you were having a hard time running FreeBSD so tagged you on this to help you out, if you have working hardware then carry on without asking daft questions.

In the guest:
edit /boot/loader.conf as instructed (this is output during the pkg install)
reboot (guest)

More information here:
This still works after 13.1 release upgrade.

Hi tux2bsd,

thank you for the kind words.

The title is clear "QEMU/KVM FreeBSD Guest", no one ever claimed that this does not work with physical hardware ;-)

I have also just retested with FreeBSD 13.1, which also fixed the bugs with netmap (network driver) and the virtio virtualised HW drivers.

So things are looking up in regards to getting fixes into FreeBSD to allow it to run as guest on QEMU/KVM machine.

But this qxl bug is still open and appears to be getting worse...

Regards,

zebity/John - writer of said article ;-)

Back