Q: Forcing the use of binary packages for certain packages

Hi,

I am generally installing all my required software from the ports collection which works great for me. Now I was wondering whether for some packages (e.g. for llvm) there is a way to force the use of binary packages to prevent the system from building/compiling the software package from scratch? I know there are pros and cons with using packages & ports but for me the compilation of things like llvm just take forever (i.e. hours) on my server and I would like to avoid having to wait for hours for the compilation to complete. Any hints/ideas would be appreciated as I could not find any information about this online.

Thanks.

Best regards
Sebastian

An update-script which contains something like that:
/usr/local/sbin/portmaster -x rust -x gcc\* -x firefox -x llvm\* -x libreoffice - -a -d
The "x" switch excludes the ports.

I strongly suggest using packages for everything. There's really nothing to gain by building from ports if you accept the default options.

If you do insist on building from ports look into ports-mgmt/synth and ports-mgmt/poudriere and set up your own repositories.

Not that I'm aware of.

I can recommend setting this in poudriere.conf:
Code:
ALLOW_MAKE_JOBS_PACKAGES="pkg llvm* gcc* node*"
Or else they'll be built using a single job, which takes a long time. This speeds things up considerably on my systems.

Back