Python Port Build Errors

I'm struggling to build several python ports after updating my ports tree over the past week... py38 ports result in errors similar to the one below. I tried completely rebuilding python38 which worked, but did not resolve the following issues. Any advice would be appreciated!

FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p4 #3 releng/13.0-n244760-940681634ee
Code:
===>   py38-setuptools-57.0.0 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/python3.8 - found
===>  Configuring for py38-setuptools-57.0.0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 100, in <module>
    dist = setuptools.setup(**setup_params)
  File "/var/ports/basejail/usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools/work-py38/setuptools-57.0.0/setuptools/__init__.py", line 153, in setup
    return distutils.core.setup(**attrs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/distutils/core.py", line 108, in setup
    _setup_distribution = dist = klass(attrs)
  File "/var/ports/basejail/usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools/work-py38/setuptools-57.0.0/setuptools/dist.py", line 455, in __init__
    _Distribution.__init__(self, {
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/distutils/dist.py", line 292, in __init__
    self.finalize_options()
  File "/var/ports/basejail/usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools/work-py38/setuptools-57.0.0/setuptools/dist.py", line 800, in finalize_options
    for ep in sorted(eps, key=by_order):
  File "/var/ports/basejail/usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools/work-py38/setuptools-57.0.0/setuptools/dist.py", line 799, in <lambda>
    eps = map(lambda e: e.load(), pkg_resources.iter_entry_points(group))
  File "/var/ports/basejail/usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools/work-py38/setuptools-57.0.0/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2449, in load
    self.require(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/var/ports/basejail/usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools/work-py38/setuptools-57.0.0/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2472, in require
    items = working_set.resolve(reqs, env, installer, extras=self.extras)
  File "/var/ports/basejail/usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools/work-py38/setuptools-57.0.0/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 772, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'packaging>=20.0' distribution was not found and is required by the application
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /basejail/usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools

Read /usr/ports/UPDATING:
Code:
20210425:
  AFFECTS: users of python
  AUTHOR: kai@FreeBSD.org

The default version of python3 and python was switched to 3.8.

For ports users wanting to keep version 3.7 as default,
  add DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= python=3.7 python3=3.7 to make.conf

Following procedures may ease the upgrade:

For users of pre-build packages:
  # sh
  # for i in $(pkg query -g %n 'py37-*'); do pkg set -yn ${i}:py38-${i#py37-}; done
  # pkg upgrade

For portmaster users:
  # sh
  # portmaster -o lang/python38 python37
  # REINSTALL="$(pkg info -o "*py37*" | awk '{printf "%s ", $2}')"
  # pkg delete -f "*py37*"
  # portmaster $REINSTALL
  # REBUILD=$(pkg query -g "%n:%dn" '*' | grep py3 | grep -v py38 | cut -d : -f 1 | sort -u)
  # portmaster $REBUILD
  # REBUILD2=$(pkg list | grep python-37 | xargs pkg which | awk '{print $6}' | sort -u)
  # portmaster $REBUILD2

Read /usr/ports/UPDATING:
Code:
20210425:
  AFFECTS: users of python
  AUTHOR: kai@FreeBSD.org

The default version of python3 and python was switched to 3.8.

For ports users wanting to keep version 3.7 as default,
  add DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= python=3.7 python3=3.7 to make.conf

Following procedures may ease the upgrade:

For users of pre-build packages:
  # sh
  # for i in $(pkg query -g %n 'py37-*'); do pkg set -yn ${i}:py38-${i#py37-}; done
  # pkg upgrade

For portmaster users:
  # sh
  # portmaster -o lang/python38 python37
  # REINSTALL="$(pkg info -o "*py37*" | awk '{printf "%s ", $2}')"
  # pkg delete -f "*py37*"
  # portmaster $REINSTALL
  # REBUILD=$(pkg query -g "%n:%dn" '*' | grep py3 | grep -v py38 | cut -d : -f 1 | sort -u)
  # portmaster $REBUILD
  # REBUILD2=$(pkg list | grep python-37 | xargs pkg which | awk '{print $6}' | sort -u)
  # portmaster $REBUILD2
That is from April 25th, 2021 so I am not sure that is my problem. I update ports tree every monday and perform upgrades via portmaster.I have python 3.8 installed and all modules are py38. My build problem is based on py38 as well so I don't think that UPDATING note is applicable.

The following was posted about 10 hours ago (from the time of this reply), so I know I am not the only one:

I update ports tree every monday and perform upgrades via portmaster.
Couldn't tell from the initial post. We have many users come here with build issues that update once a year or even less.

I have python 3.8 installed and all modules are py38.
Ok, that at least rules out any strange errors caused by having a few older modules around (that's quite a common issue).

so I know I am not the only one:
That's good to know but the official build clusters aren't having issues with building this. So the issue isn't caused by the port itself. It's often a combination of things, the build clusters build everything in a "clean" environment, so nothing else is installed. Sometimes just having package A installed will cause problems with building package B. We just need to figure out who's the culprit in this case.

Couldn't tell from the initial post. We have many users come here with build issues that update once a year or even less.

Ok, that at least rules out any strange errors caused by having a few older modules around (that's quite a common issue).

That's good to know but the official build clusters aren't having issues with building this. So the issue isn't caused by the port itself. It's often a combination of things, the build clusters build everything in a "clean" environment, so nothing else is installed. Sometimes just having package A installed will cause problems with building package B. We just need to figure out who's the culprit in this case.
Looking again, all my jails updated fine except where I had bind916 installed, which pulls in a ridiculous amount of other ports that the build depends on, so at least I narrowed to that!

Looking again, all my jails updated fine except where I had bind916 installed, which pulls in a ridiculous amount of other ports that the build depends on, so at least I narrowed to that!
I'm going with a "pkg autoremove" to clean house, then use portmaster to update bind. Going to be a much longer build, but will post back to see if that does the trick.

That would certainly help, you don't want to have old and unused dependencies lingering around.
I used to be more religious about doing autoremove, but it's bitten me a couple times specifically with MySQL and libraries being removed that it depended on. I can't remember the specific details but I couldn't figure out why MySQL wouldn't start, until I ran the mysqld binary by hand and it spit out a missing library error. Nonetheless, thanks for all the help!

Same problem here. As far as I can tell without digging too much is there seems to be a circular dependency on py-packaging that affects portmaster.

I addressed the problem with a manual install of devel/py-packaging , and then resuming the portmaster updates.

Back