Python IDLE

Hey guys. Can anyone give me a little guidance on getting a good Python IDLE going on FreeBSD? I can't seem to figure it out :p I have it on my netbook running Linux but that was pretty easy to set up and I'm a total novice with FreeBSD.

I'm guessing you mean IDE? What are you looking for? I find vi/emacs are more powerful then IDEs like Eclipse, but to each his own. vi is in the base system. If you wanted emacs/eclipse you could do
% cd /usr/ports/editors/emacs && sudo make install clean or % cd /usr/ports/java/eclipse && sudo make install clean.

Integrated DeveLopment Environment. That's how it is on my netbook running Linux. It's a shell, I guess, that you can write code in and execute with rather than typing python in the terminal and doing it that way.

ZombieBeefchunk said:
Cool. I'll check that out. I'll be able to run that from within Gnome or?

Yeah, absolutely. If you want an X11 editor similar to vi, there is gvim. The newer emacs with daemon mode works well for switching between the x11 client and the console.

mingrone said:
Yeah, absolutely. If you want an X11 editor similar to vi, there is gvim. The newer emacs with daemon mode works well for switching between the x11 client and the console.

Nice. Sounds like exactly what I'm after :) Thanks a lot guys. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back