When pulseaudio load, i have this message in /var/log/messages:

E: shm.c: shm_unlink(/tmp/pulse-shm-2649548005) failed: Permission denied

Some people know this problem ?
Thanks in advance.
Niko.

did you solve this?

hey,
by any chance did you solve this?

i have seen very few ppl who have set up pulse properly and more ppl still having problems. I am not sure if this is to do with pam setup and seen instructions only for linux which use some file called limits.conf.

i have a new installation and doing some google, but would like to see some clear guide somewhere here.

Hi mdma,

After a fresh install of FreeBSD, i have no problem anymore !
I don't know why but it's perfectly working.

Do you have problem with pulse audio on your FreeBSD ?

Niko.

Why even install PulseAudio on FreeBSD? Everything short of per-application volume controls is already possible in FreeBSD already.

PulseAudio is a Linux solution to a Linux problem that should be fixed lower in the Linux audio stack. Adding yet another layer on top of a broken foundation won't fix things.

And adding that broken layer to a working FreeBSD setup is just asking for trouble. :D

Hi Phoenix,

Can you tell me how to have a per-application volume control on FreeBSD without pulse-audio ?

Thanks in advance,
Nicolas.

hi nikobordx
no i haven't got this working yet but i have a lot of shtuff to upgrade at the moment and i'm leaving it till after that.

out of curiosity, are you running as per-user or system? and if per-user, did you manage high-priority or realtime?

thanks

nikobordx said:
But what is the difference between the FreeBSD sound system and the OSS ? What is the best?

The FreeBSD audio system is OSS. It's a variation of OSS3.

OSS4 is available from the ports tree, with different features, different drivers, some newer drivers, and some drivers that FreeBSD doesn't come with.

Neither is really better than the other. Use whichever one has the features that you need, and the drivers that you need.

Hi mdma,

In fact, I was wrong!
Pulseaudio loads without error but I can't open the volume control!

I know FreeBSD use oss as audio system but why not put directly oss version 4 into the base source of FreeBSD (if I am not mistaken oss v4 uses the BSD license) ??

Nicolas.

Back