Proud of me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Just to tell that I'm proud of me! This is the first time I succeeded in installing a complete FreeBSD Desktop. In the past I always messed in mixing port and package. Trouble also with many other thing like sound, Xorg, Gnome...

Now everything work perfecly! I have a full Gnome installed with GDM at boot, Chromium, VLC, Java, OpenOffice3, Deluge, flash player, bash and sudo.

All installed from ports. Thanks to portmaster! And nice work everyone at FreeBSD!

An Archlinux/Ubuntu user.

Yes it is! It wasn't so hard anyway. I think I didn't try hard enough the first few times and didn't read enough. I was discouraged each time the ports system gave me an error message.

The good thing is that you understand a lot more what's going on under the hood! I'm not yet converted, I'm a prudent user and still need to learn more before switching to FreeBSD. I was a little burn with the last LTS version of a popular OS. That bad experience push me to look at something more stable and less cutting edge for my home server.

I like Debian a lot but I have been accustomed to recent package and feel that Debian stuff is pretty old. I think that FreeBSD is a more balanced mix!

Don't get discouraged if you encounter some errors, e.g. when upgrading your ports. Normally every problem can be solved. :)

srivo said:
I like Debian a lot but I have been accustomed to recent package and feel that Debian stuff is pretty old.

I think the polite term is "Well tested". There's definitely something to judicious caution when updating, especially in the wild & woolly world of open source.

I agree with you fronclynne. "Well tested" is the right term. Sorry for using old.

Use only proved and reliable technology!

Meh .. I'm on a new -STABLE at least every month, and on new ports versions within a day. Breakage is rare, and it's easy to back out if you have your head screwed on right.

My motto applies here:

Experience is just another way of saying "I already made that mistake. Many times. Finally, I learned."

My other motto is:

I don't claim to be smart or clever. But I am one of the most stubborn people you'll ever meet. If I'm given enough time I can see through brick walls.

Congratulations on your breakthrough, srivo! Keep going.

Not so proud of me!

Ok the easy part is over! That first test was on a VM everything went fine. Now I tryed on bare metal and it's not so simple!

I manage to install most of the important stuff like Xorg, Gnome2, Linux compat, Nvidia-driver, flash player, vlc, java, Chromium, sudo and gksu.

But I have problem with the cool stuff:
-sound doesn't work look like my p7p55D motherboard don't like freeBSD sound driver supposed to be snd_hda but???
-Compiz-fusion: I have only one desktop and the typical no windows decoration.. I need to do more earch!
-Unable to mount NTFS drive. I installed Fuse-NTFS but their is surely other stuff I didn't do correctly.

That it for today! I will need to post a few questions in other parts of the forum. Anyway it's still a learning experience of how FreeBSD work!

compiz starts with everything turned off. you need to enable a couple things in ccsm like scale, resize, move etc.

Hold it! All questions should be asked separately in the applicable sub-forums (which is not here). So by all means ask your questions in the correct place, but not in here ('Feedback'), and not jumbled up in one post, because it will get chaotic immediately.

I'm assuming this thread has run its course, so: closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back