ZFS Properties of multiple filesystems question

Greetings all,

I have some questions that occurred to me only recently and I cannot find an answer, perhaps by using wrong query.

Let us say that there is a pool storage mounted on /storage; the filesystem /storage having default properties. Additionally other filesystems, e.g., /storage/movies, /storage/mail, etc., are created.

It would be desirable to have different properties for the different filesystems, e.g., recordsize=1M, ashift=off for the /storage/movies, but default recordsize and ashift=on for the /storage/mail.

Do I understand it correctly that the settings on the different filesystems are independent? That is, the unused space on the filesystem /storage will retain default properties, and the /storage/movies, /storage/mail will have the properties set forth therein.

The other question is whether there is a practical difference where the filesystems are mounted. E.g., whether the storage/mail is mounted on /storage/mail or /mail?

Kindest regards,

M

Do I understand it correctly that the settings on the different filesystems are independent? That is, the unused space on the filesystem /storage will retain default properties, and the /storage/movies, /storage/mail will have the properties set forth therein.
That's the point! The available storage space is shared by all, but the properties are valid per filesystem (and below, via inheritance). (The unused space does not have any properties - properties define how files are stored into the dataset)

The other question is whether there is a practical difference where the filesystems are mounted. E.g., whether the storage/mail is mounted on /storage/mail or /mail?
Mounting storage/mail into /storage/mail is the default, ZFS does this without further configuration. But you can mount it anywhere else, either by setting the mountpoint property, or by mounting via mount -t zfs ... .

Hi PMc,

thank you for the reply; very helpful confirming my understanding.

Regarding the mount, I understand that I can mount it anywhere, I was just wondering if there is a practical difference.

Kindest regards,

M

Back