Properly configuring NFS4 exports on ZFS filesystems

I have used a sharenfs attribute on my ZFS filesystems with success for some time:

Code:
NAME  PROPERTY  VALUE                                                SOURCE
main  sharenfs  -mapall root -network 192.168.1.1 -mask 255.255.0.0  received

Unfortunately, I now have a client that is connecting from ports >1024, so it appears that I will need to add the insecure option somewhere. I have read on the internet that it may be necessary to not use sharenfs and revert to /etc/exports instead.

It appears that I will want to use comma-separated option syntax to encode this in sharenfs. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there any documentation for this? Every comma separated string I have tried has failed with "no valid entries" error from mountd(8).

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to get it working with:

Code:
zfs set sharenfs="-network 192.168.0.0/16(insecure)" main

but without any other options, which I may need

That's why people typically use the 'normal' /etc/exports. The sharenfs option is a bit of a hack. It gets translated to a file: /etc/zfs/exports. On the original Solaris implementation the option would talk to the kernel directly in order to create the share. This wasn't possible on FreeBSD, hence the "hack". But due to this the syntax works somewhat counter-intuitive and it's a little difficult setting multiple NFS options.

I see. Indeed, I did see /etc/zfs/exports. Using /etc/exports does seem to make more sense. Thanks for this confirmation.

AFAIK this flag can't be set on a per-share basis but only globally for the mountd service. So you have to set the -n flag via nfsd_flags within the rc.conf. That's what we use on our nfs server to allow users on the clients mounting their home directories and various shares.

Back