Promoting FreeBSD

Hello folks

I have been using FreeBSD for a few years now and while my friends were hyping about latest Linux distro of the month I was able to do cool stuff using my FreeBSD box (home server, coding etc). I have been lately thinking about FreeBSD and what I can do to make it better.

I think FreeBSD is lacking in the marketing/hype department (even thou we have a lot to hype about!). I consider hype/marketing a necessary evil in this case. Linux has more hype and thus more users, which leads to more evangelists, which again leads to more contributors. I think FreeBSD needs more evangelists who blog about FreeBSD, give talks and so on.

So my question is two-fold. Why aren't we more vocal and what can I do in order to promote FreeBSD? Here are few things I came up with:
  • Donating money to FreeBSD foundation (obvious one)
  • Giving talks about FreeBSD at local Linux conferences/seminars/meetings if possible
  • Buying FreeBSD books
  • Starting a local FreeBSD/BSD enthusiast group
  • Trying to help newcomers as much as possible (mailing lists, forums etc)
  • Personally promoting FreeBSD more on the net (Twitter, Delicious, Facebook, LinkedIN and so on)
  • Trying to sneak FreeBSD at work
  • Trying and use FreeBSD based servers/providers when I need to rent a dedicated server (I am web developer by trade)
  • Burning FreeSBIE/PC-BSD and giving it out for free to friends and co-workers
  • Donating time to do some web work (aka build/update/modify/moderate website(s))
  • Promoting FreeBSD in my email and forum signatures

What other things I and other people can do in order to promote FreeBSD?

Thank you for reading :)

P.S. I tried searching the forum for a thread that deals with this topic, but didn't find any so I created my own. If this has been discussed before please merge the threads.

Best regards,
Artem

Back