Programming environment in FreeBSD

Hello,

What is the situation for standard programming environments in
FreeBSD for most popular languages, like C++, JAVA, etc.

I mean, there are command line compilers, but how things are
with some graphical IDE, like Eclipse, Netbeans,

regards

probe said:
What is the situation for standard programming environments in
FreeBSD for most popular languages, like C++, JAVA, etc.

I mean, there are command line compilers, but how things are
with some graphical IDE, like Eclipse, Netbeans

Eclipse and Netbeans are both in ports. If I'm not mistaken, the former can be used for many languages, not just Java.

For the rest (e.g. C++-specific IDEs) I wouldn't know because I don't like IDEs.

Alphons

P.S. Vim can be rigged to act as an IDE...:h

non ide

You are right, specifically for system programming,
assembly, C and C++ do not require IDE at all,

regards

I have used both Eclipse and NetBeans under FreeBSD without major problems. NetBeans won't give you the graphical profiler saying you need to be on Linux or Solaris for that, and if you hit the Debug button it'll tell you that your version of GDB isn't supported, but other than that it works just fine.

Geany, Anjuta, Code::Blocks

From the Geany About page:
Geany is a small and lightweight Integrated Development Environment. It was developed to provide a small and fast IDE, which has only a few dependencies from other packages. Another goal was to be as independent as possible from a special Desktop Environment like KDE or GNOME - Geany only requires the GTK2 runtime libraries.

Anjuta, on the other hand, is a full-blown IDE used for developing GTK/GNOME applications. The following is from its About page:
Anjuta is a versatile Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for C and C++ on GNU/Linux. It has been written for GTK/GNOME and features a number of advanced programming facilities including project management, application wizards, an interactive debugger and a powerful source editor with source browsing and syntax highlighting.
Glade is integrated into the IDE and there is an option to build a subversion plugin.

Code::Blocks is an open source, cross-platform and free C/C++ IDE. It is built using the wxWidgets GUI library.

Back