Problems with ssh connections to FreeBSD from Windows 10 using key pair and ssh-agent

On both a remote server with FreeBSD 12.0 and a virtualbox installation with the same, I can log in from Windows 10 via ssh using either a passphrase for the desired FreeBSD user, or with a ssh private/public key pair using the passphrase for the latter.

However, any attempt to use the Windows 10 ssh-agent to store the passphrase for the private key results in either a dropped connection (if normal passphrase/challenge authentication is disabled) with the message "Permission denied (publickey)," or a prompt for the desired FreeBSD user's password (if sshd permits passphrase/challenge authentication). In other words, the Windows 10 ssh-agent does not seem to be compatible with the available FreeBSD sshd servers.

I can log in to remote Linux installations using the key pair and Windows 10 ssh-agent. I can also log in to the FreeBSD boxes from Linux using a ssh key pair and ssh-agent.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone here could offer. Thank you.

Edit: I neglected to mention that the behavior is exactly the same using either the built-in sshd or openssh-portable.

To get this working, I had to uninstall the default ssh (sshd server and ssh-agent) and use choco (Windows cli package manager) to install a more recent version.

i try use winsshfs (WInFSP) and not may connect to my server FreeBSD :( but normally login via Putty.
...... next day i found conclusion : /etc/ssh/sshd_config > enable option: PasswordAuthentication yes
and now all works ! and SSHFS win Manager work too.
Good luck !

I just use the SSHd from base, and enable it during OS install. That saved me countless times. I probably should take time to button down the default installation, but right now, my machine is not even on all the time. Beyond that - occasionally, I just delete the entire .ssh directory from my Windows user directory. This forces the Windows client to re-create the key pair every time. Works both in PowerShell and Putty.

Back