Problems with Poudriere

I wanted to create some packages with different options from binary packages, so I set up poudriere.

pourdriere.conf
Code:
##
## poudriere.conf
##
NO_ZFS=yes
FREEBSD_HOST=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org
RESOLV_CONF=/etc/resolv.conf

# The directory where poudriere will store jails and ports
BASEFS=/poudriere

# The directory where the jail will store the packages and logs
# by default a zfs filesystem will be created and set to
# ${BASEFS}/data
#
POUDRIERE_DATA=${BASEFS}/data

# Use portlint to check ports sanity
USE_PORTLINT=no

USE_TMPFS=no

DISTFILES_CACHE=/poudriere/distfiles

CHECK_CHANGED_OPTIONS=verbose
CHECK_CHANGED_DEPS=yes

SAVE_WRKDIR=yes
KEEP_OLD_PACKAGES=no

BUILDER_HOSTNAME=lrepo.test.local
PKG_REPO_SIGNING_KEY=/usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert

USE_COLORS=yes

I create that certs for poudriere using OpenSSL.

I create jail with:

[I]poudriere jail -c -j R11x64 -v 11.1-RELEASE[/I]

I create ports tree with

poudriere ports -c -p HEAD

create list of ports to build in /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/buildlist/portlist

run command
poudriere options -j [I]R11x64[/I] -p HEAD -f /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/buildlist/portlist

poudriere creates options directory with my options

run command
poudriere bulk -j [I]R11x64[/I] -p HEAD -f /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/buildlist/portlist

poudriere successfully build all packages and then reports
Code:
[00:50:51] Creating pkg repository
Creating repository in /tmp/packages: 100%
Packing files for repository:   0%
pkg-static: can't load key from /tmp/repo.key
Packing files for repository: 100%
[00:50:52] Cleaning up
[00:50:52] Unmounting file systems

I check logs and they indicate that all packages were built, but when I goto /poudriere/data/packages/R11x64-HEAD there are 3 directories:
.latest
.real_1516828511
.building

The first two directories are empty and the last has what appears to be packages. Is .building the "normal" location for packages? TIA

The error is here:
poudriere successfully build all packages and then reports
Code:
pkg-static: can't load key from /tmp/repo.key

poudriere.conf
Code:
PKG_REPO_SIGNING_KEY=/usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert
I create that certs for poudriere using OpenSSL.
How did you create your signing key? I suspect that your usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert doesn't contain what you need. There is an example in the man page for pkg-repo(8), which boils down to running
openssl genrsa -out repo.key 2048
to create a private RSA key. This is the file that should be listed as PKG_REPO_SIGNING_KEY.

I would try to get things working without signing the packages first. There's no requirement for the packages to be signed. Once everything works you can look into signing them.

Thank you to the two of you. I was able to compile the packages with Poudriere without any further problems.

@ astreriskRoss, I am trying to learn how to use Poudiere. It is quite the nifty piece of software!

Sorry for hijacking/resurrecting this thread, but this sounds quite familiar. I'll elaborate on my journey:

I created key and cert:
openssl genrsa -out /usr/local/etc/ssl/keys/poudriere.key 4096
openssl rsa -in /usr/local/etc/ssl/keys/poudriere.key -pubout -out /usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert

I put the key into poudriere.conf:
Code:
   PKG_REPO_SIGNING_KEY=/usr/local/etc/ssl/keys/poudriere.key

I put the cert on the client:
#Making our local server the only source, putting the current FreeBSD version into the path
Code:
   myRepo: {
     url: "pkg+http://<IP>/repository/FreeBSD/freebsd_11-2x64-QUARTERLY",
     mirror_type: "srv",
     signature_type: "pubkey",
     pubkey: "/usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert",
     enabled: yes
   }
Building, uploading to Webserver, pkg installing.. all work like a charm. Much easier than expected.

Then I tried verifying my setup. I fiddled with the certificate on the client, turning a b into a B. This should invalidate the key/cert combo.

BUT... pkg still installs like nothing happened.

I'm very very very sure that I have something misconfigured. But crosschecking with about every tutorial I can find, it does not look like I made a mistake.

How can I check whether poudriere signs the packages in the first place? Can I look for something in the log?
How can I monitor whether pkg checks the signatures?

Following the 'example' in the first post, I renamed poudriere.key to poudriere.ke, and got an error message.
Code:
   [00:00:00] Starting jail freebsd_11-2x64-QUARTERLY
   [00:00:01] Error: PKG_REPO_SIGNING_KEY defined but the file is missing.
So that part of the config seems ok.

When I re-renamed the file, the bulk build went through. Nothing in the output contained {key|cert|sign}. Should it? Or is this quietness expected?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

best regards
simon

There is a bug on FreeBSD_12.0-RELEASE and poudriere with a Fresh install of the OS and poudriere in which it fails to sign the key.

The only work-around I have found is to disable SSL or to create a poudriere install with FreeBSD_11.2-RELEASE and then upgrade to 12 later.

Back