Solved Problems starting Gnome3

Apple Mac Pro (early 2009)
macOS 10.13.3
FreeBSD installed under Parallels 13

Hello, I have tried to install Gnome3 under FreeBSD using the instructions here: https://fosskb.in/2016/02/16/installing-gnome-3-desktop-on-freebsd-11/
When I reboot, rather than booting into Gnome as expected, my machine still boots up in text mode.
This is the contents of my /etc/rc.conf:
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 02.54.05.png

Any ideas, anyone?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Sir Dice. Where is the best place for the `vidcontrol` command? I've seen other guide which seem to use `rc.conf` for various initialisation commands.

I have ensured that the following packages are all installed: gnome-desktop, gdm, xorg, xf86-video-fbdev
Rebooting now appears to try to start Xorg, but fails. Running startx results in the following:

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 12.28.40.png
cat /var
I've checked the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and that seem to indicate an error occuring quite late on in the startup process:

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 12.33.57.png

After all this hassle, I ended up installing XFCE. At the risk of starting a flame war, I have to say that it seems much better than Gnome. The management of individual window sizing is far superior, and despite the descriptions I've seen about it being lightweight, it seems quite full-featured to me.

As I just mentioned in another thread, I fully agree. Apart from anything else, there is a full range of window management options available, the mouse speed is set at a sensible default, and the whole package just appears more robust.

Back