Problems running Linux software

Can somebody help me? Whenever I run Linux software on my FreeBSD 9.1 laptop with the binary compatibility, the performance is really crappy. Frame rates are really low, and I always get the following message in the terminal:
Code:
Unrecognized deviceID 46

Does anyone know what this is? Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing your Xorg is running on the vesa driver? How are native FreeBSD applications performing?

Yes. All of my native FreeBSD software looks fine. Xorg starts normally, everything works fine...until I try to start one of my Linux programs.

I used to have the same problem with all the native software, but the problem was solved when I enabled KMS. Now the problem only occurs with Linux software.

You need a newer version of the linux DRI drivers. Unfortunately, no one has updated the ones in the ports tree in a long time, and the default version is from Fedora 10, which was released 2008-11-25.

The only real option would be to update the drivers yourself. Sadly, this isn't as easy as simply grabbing newer drivers from a newer Linux distribution, as you will need to update large parts of the Linux compat layer as well.

Adam

I have no instructions to give. I stopped trying to do this when newer DRI drivers stopped working on Fedora 10 by default, which was quite a while ago.

Adam

Back