Problem with shell (os.execute) command

I have a small problem with a lua script and im using a query.

Code: [Select]

os.execute("mysql -u root -ppassword --execute='UPDATE user.users SET email = "..email .." WHERE id = ".. get_email() ..";'")

So, the problem is, if i type numbers as the email e.g "2134124412" the query is success and change the email to "2134124412".
If i type characters like "qwertz" i got a sql problem.
I saw, at
Code: [Select]

SET email = "..email.."

the " " do not escape, because every SET xy = xy statemant needs two ' ' to escape the string.
So, how i can do this, because i start the command with two " ", in the command a execute command with two ' ' and now i need two ' ' or two " " again at the SET email step?

So the fault is this:

[cmd=]mysql -u root -ppassword -e "UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = Password ('password') WHERE user='root';[/cmd]

All working fine but in the Password ('password') the two ' ' are missing if I run my lua command .. I hope you'll know >.<

Think of it this way, you have root's password on the commandline, you have a user's password on the commandline. If I do a ps(1) at the right time I'll have the keys to your database.

Your syntax is also quite difficult now because of all the quotations needed. Save yourself a lot of headaches.

In addition, it's also slow. os.execute starts a new process (== overhead), it also may start a shell (== even more overhead).

This is not an issue for a single command, but if you start doing SQL queries this way ....

All working fine if I type numbers for the password but if I am typing a word for the password mysql says error

"mysql says error" is vague at best, when asking a question you should post as much information as possible. You posted as little information as possible (No error message, not the full code).

As a generic hint, you can use:
Code:
query = 'SELECT ...'
cmd = 'mysql -u ...etc... ' + query
os.execute(cmd)

I am not familiar with Lua, so the syntax may not be correct, but this allows you to print the query and cmd to the terminal ans *see* what gets executed. This is often helpful in debuging.

The problem is, if I type

[cmd=]os.execute("mysql -u root -ppassword --execute='UPDATE users.users SET Password = Password (.. pass ..) WHERE id = ".. username ..";'")[/cmd]

The syntax is wrong, because mysql needs this at password=password ('password1234' or ("password1234") and if I type ('..pass ..') or ("..pass..") it does not work, because I started the syntax with (" and close it with ") and in the syntax between " " I open the next syntax for the --execute command.
So I need a solusion for this

So you just need to escape the quotes? Again, I'm not familiar with Lua, but in most languages you can place a backslash before the quote (\").

Carpetsmoker said:
So you just need to escape the quotes? Again, I'm not familiar with Lua, but in most languages you can place a backslash before the quote (\").

Already try this. Don´t work.

I have a small problem with a lua script and im using a query.

Code:
os.execute("mysql -u root -ppassword --execute='UPDATE user.users SET email = "..email .." WHERE id = ".. get_email() ..";'")

So, the problem is, if i type numbers as the email e.g "2134124412" the query is success and change the email to "2134124412".
If i type characters like "qwertz" i got a sql problem.
I saw, at

Code:
 SET email = "..email.."

the " " do not escape, because every SET xy = xy statemant needs two ' ' to escape the string.
So, how i can do this, because i start the command with two " ", in the command a execute command with two ' ' and now i need two ' ' or two " " again at the SET email step?

So now you're using this for general queries against your database? :q

I would seriously recommend you use a MySQL interface library such as luasql-mysql

It is obvious you're having great difficulty with your current solution. This is always a good moment to stop and rethink if there isn't a better way.

Also, both of the queries you posted contain SQL injection security vulnerabilities. These will be extremely hard, if not impossible, to fix with your current solution.

Thats only for my use.

So, please help me and do not advise me with some secure informations, i already know that.
I just need to know how i can escape the SET email = email value.

Code:
os.execute("some command \"with\" embedded \"quotes\"")

Back