Solved problem mount ntfs partition

Hi,
I have an ide 3.5 hard drive with 23 bad sectors.

When I mount the ntfs file system under Linux with:
ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt -o uid=1000,gid=1000,ro
I can read boot.ini file with cat without error.

When I mount the ntfs file system under FreeBSD with:
ntfs-3g -o uid=1001,gid=1001,ro /dev/ada1s1 /mnt
I cannot read the boot.ini file.
I have the error -> cat: boot.ini: Input/output error

Seems like under FreeBSD I have a lot more errors.

ntfs-3g linux version: 2022.10.3 external FUSE 28
ntfs-3g freebsd version: 2022.10.3 external FUSE 29

I modified the kernel variable "kern.cam.ada.retry_count" to zero to try to limit error attempts but that changed nothing.

What is the problem ?

THANKS.

What is the problem ?
That you have a dead or dying hard disk.

I modified the kernel variable "kern.cam.ada.retry_count" to zero to try to limit error attempts but that changed nothing.
That will not make FreeBSD be better at reading the disk, on the contrary. You will fail faster.

Diagnosing what the real problem is would require a lot more diagnostic information. For example the output of smartctl (which will probably just tell us that the disk is really sick), and example lines from the system log when reads are attempted (which will probably confirm what we already know). It is unlikely that the problem can be fixed by tuning and tweaking.

I assume you want to read the content of the disk. My suggestion would be to try it with a Windows machine; their NTFS implementation is the most mature, the most correct, and the most resilient.

The big question is: How valuable is the data on there? How much money and effort do you want to invest in recovering this?

I found the solution by recompiling fusefs-ntfs without the UBLIO option and the boot.ini file for example is readable as under Linux.
# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs
# make clean
# make config

make_config.png

# make
# pkg remove fusefs-ntfs-2022.10.3
# make install
# pkg lock fusefs-ntfs-2022.10.3

If it can help anyone.

Back