Problem creating custom kernel config version mismatch ??

Hi,

It's been a while since I built a custom kernel but necessary this time around.

I just upgraded to 13.2.

I removed /usr/src and make sure via ls -sal that everything was gone.

git clone -b releng/13.2 --depth 1 https://git.freebsd.org/src.git /usr/src

SO... attempt a GENERIC build....
Code:
make buildkernel
make[1]: "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1" line 338: SYSTEM_COMPILER: Determined that CC=cc matches the source tree.  Not bootstrapping a cross-compiler.
make[1]: "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1" line 343: SYSTEM_LINKER: Determined that LD=ld matches the source tree.  Not bootstrapping a cross-linker.

--------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Kernel build for GENERIC started on Sat May  6 14:41:37 EDT 2023
===> GENERIC
mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys

>>> stage 1: configuring the kernel
cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf;  PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp/legacy/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp/legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp/legacy/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp/legacy/usr/libexec::/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin  config  -d /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC  -I '/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf' -I '/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf'  '/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC'
ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
config version = 600016, version required = 600018

Make sure that /usr/src/usr.sbin/config is in sync
with your /usr/src/sys and install a new config binary
before trying this again.

If running the new config fails check your config
file against the GENERIC or LINT config files for
changes in config syntax, or option/device naming
conventions

*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1
Digging in....
Code:
which config
/usr/sbin/config
config -V
Like I said, it's been a while... last time we were still using svn... :)

Thank you for the support

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely forgot about buildworld first. I'm so used to no longer having to use anything but GENERIC....

Buildworld continues to do it's magic..... Might take a while..... :D

I'm curious now as I'm digging into GENERIC.... does anyone still use half the devices in there? Things have become so 'GENERIC' (pardon the lame pun) with regards to standards, there seems to be crusty old stuff in there (like over 20 years ago??) This may be the first custom kernel I've done in over 15 years (!!!)

Has FreeBSD ever sent out a simple survey to all the registered users about who is using what? Or better yet, put up a submission place on the website where they can dump a kernel or pciconf -lv (probably the latter) so they can see who still has the hardware out there?

I think it would be really optimal to have a stripped out kernel that has only the generic NVME, SATA, SCSI, USB (basically boot media) that on initial boot loads what's detected and creates another file that can be appended loader.conf.

I think my 'include' file for knob turnoffs is going to be huge.

Paul

Back