by cd to port directory and using following command

make package-recursive

then I installed /usr/ports-mgmt/pkg

now when i try to add package with "pkg add' , I get the following error

"pkg: port-name.tbz is not a valid package: no manifest found"

notes to mention :

* I have to stay on freeBSD 9.3 , I can't upgrade
* this is a fresh install of freeBSD
* ports tree isn't updated , because when i update my port tree i can't run make command anymore
* I have to use a package ,because i want to install that port on other machines which don't have any network connection
* the port i'm trying to install doesn't have any dependency
* my pkg version is : pkg-1.2.7

any help will be really approciated

* I have to stay on freeBSD 9.3 , I can't upgrade
Then you're most likely out of luck.

The ports collection is always centered around the currently supported version of FreeBSD, ergo things may change in the ports collection to accommodate to those newer versions, but as a result it can also render them useless for older versions.

But honestly: using an outdated and unsupported version of FreeBSD is a bad idea in general.

Your best bet to make this work is to upgrade to either 10.3 or 11.0.

because there is a an application which is dependent on this version of freeBSD
That's not really an answer ;) FreeBSD has great backwards compatibility, so why does it not work on newer versions?

* my pkg version is : pkg-1.2.7
This implies your ports tree is from ~ March 2014. Why do you have to use such an old version of the tree? I find this odd. You can checkout the 2016Q4 branch of the ports tree for the last tree that supports FreeBSD 9.3.

"pkg: port-name.tbz is not a valid package: no manifest found"
I am probably mixing up my history now, but the .tbz extension implies this is a package for the old pkg_* tools, so you might want to use them or define WITH_PKGNG=yes in /etc/make.conf and rebuild the package.

But as I said above better update your ports tree. Then you will not have these kinds of problems and will also have newer package versions.

Finally: Topics about unsupported FreeBSD versions

@tobik
thanks for your great suggestions ,I'll take your advise :)

For now I found a temporary solution :
I used the old package management system and could add the package with pkg_add .
after this package added , I can switch to new package management system.

I'm really thankful for your great
responses guys:)

This implies your ports tree is from ~ March 2014. Why do you have to use such an old version of the tree? I find this odd. You can checkout the 2016Q4 branch of the ports tree for the last tree that supports FreeBSD 9.3.

as I said I new to freeBSD , how can I update my prots tree to 2016Q4 branch of the ports tree ?

I am probably mixing up my history now, but the .tbz extension implies this is a package for the old pkg_* tools, so you might want to use them or define WITH_PKGNG=yes in /etc/make.conf and rebuild the package.

i saw this solution on the web, but I couldn't find a file named make.conf in /etc :(

Back