Solved Printing with CUPS - SP/DP

I was unable to figure out how to print SP/DP with lpr(1), so I loaded the CUPS package that
I have used under LINUX.

No problem configuring the HP4100 series printer, and I set up two printer queues, one
HP-DP, the other HP-SP, and I can print test pages from localhost:631.

However from FreeBSD proper, I can print to the FIRST (the double sided printer, but
can not see the HP-SP, viz
Code:
% lpq -PHP-SP
lpq: printer not found
%
% lpr -PHP-SP /etc/hosts
lpr: HP-SP: unknown printer

I tried deleting and reinstalling the printer (HP-SP) but this did not help.
What gives, and how do I fix this?

Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

What's the output of which lpq? You might accidentally be using the FreeBSD base version of lpq(1) installed in /usr/bin. CUPS installs its own version in /usr/local/bin so try giving the absolute pathname explicitly: /usr/local/bin/lpq -PHP-SP

Just to clarify DP=Duplex?. If you are referring to an HP 4100 Laserjet, OpenPrinting indicates that 1) It is Postscript3 capable 2) Full functionality is dependent upon print/hplip and lastly can utilize ghostscript plxmono.

The GUI in CUPs usually allows the selection of Single Sided vs Duplex and the use of a second queue is more common for those printing from the command line.

This was an excellent Thread 50281 that looked a passing print options and was expanded on in this Thread 50607. If you are not deeply invested in CUPS, you can use set up a foomatic-rip filter using the supplied hplip supplied ppd for your printer.

You can also look through the HP4100*ppd and parse out the command that toggles duplex and simplex printing and pass this directly as an lpr option.

What's the output of which lpq? You might accidentally be using the FreeBSD base version of lpq(1) installed in /usr/bin. CUPS installs its own version in /usr/local/bin so try giving the absolute pathname explicitly: /usr/local/bin/lpq -PHP-SP
I was unable to figure out how to print SP/DP with lpr(1), so I loaded the CUPS package that
I have used under LINUX.

No problem configuring the HP4100 series printer, and I set up two printer queues, one
HP-DP, the other HP-SP, and I can print test pages from localhost:631.

However from FreeBSD proper, I can print to the FIRST (the double sided printer, but
can not see the HP-SP, viz
Code:
% lpq -PHP-SP
lpq: printer not found
%
% lpr -PHP-SP /etc/hosts
lpr: HP-SP: unknown printer

I tried deleting and reinstalling the printer (HP-SP) but this did not help.
What gives, and how do I fix this?

Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Back