Printing with Brother HL-L2320D

Trying to get printing working ...
found driver on https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brother-hll2360d/

but it's .rpm so don't know what to do ..
also have CD that came with printer ... has driver for Mac OSX 10.7.5 10.8 ...
read u can use Apple Drivers ?? but where do I install it??

Also installed apsfilter ... but it's huge and seems overkill for just me on 32 bit laptop.

Originally installed lpd .. but looks like I need to go to CUPS ...

Any help would be appreciated .. thanks

I am not experienced with printers (I do not use one), but if this model does have BR-Script (some kind of Brother PostScript translator/layer) support you should not need a driver with you will be using lpd. Just the ppd file, I guess.

Do a search in the forums because there are some threads about it with reasonable information.

The HL-L2360 supports PCL6, the HL-L2320D does not:
Brother USA HL-L2360DW Specs
Brother USA HL-L2320D Specs

The HL-L2360 uses a rasterconvertor based on the ghostscript pxlmono driver. Ghostscript is opensource.
The HL-L2320D is nearly a paperweight in FreeBSD. In the ppd for the HL-L2320D, there is a line where the rasterconvertor calls for a linux binary (aka Blob) compiled by Brother. What is in the blob is only known to Brother - not opensource.
Edit: print/brlaser supports a number of Brother GDI printers and upstream says it will work for the HL-L2320D
https://github.com/pdewacht/brlaser

Your options are:
1) Trade for another printer that supports PCL6 or Postscript
2) Try to use the HL-L2320D with Linux emulation (likely 32 bit) in FreeBSD. In Thread 52965 srobert had success with a Brother Label printer via Linux emulation.
3) Connect the HL-L2320D to a linux/later mac computer and print via cups/raw-output.
4) Connect the HL-L2320D to a windows/mac/linux computer/nas and print via samba.

Last edited:
Yes that's kind of what I've been thinking ... find a old cheap windows box and use
it for a printer spooler !! I really hate to give up the HL-L2320D, it really does a
nice clear job of printing black and white ....

I would venture that the mechanical aspects of the HL-L2320 are nearly the same as the HL-L2360D. They use the same toner and drum. The HL-L2360D has 32mb RAM vs the 8mb in the HL-L2320D and better printer smarts for an upcharge of ~ $30.
It is likely that the cost of a cheap windows box + cheaper brother = cost of the more expensive brother. If you are patient you can often find deals.

Last edited:
Back